TR5 Polybush kits

Hi All

While I have got the rear suspension stripped down on my '5' that I acquired a few months ago, I am looking to upgrade the bushes and have a couple of questions

- There seems to be a wide variety of 'kits' around (full and part) - can anyone offer advice on a good quality solution/source for a full car polybush kit please?

- Also there seems to be different ride eg performance, comfort etc. Is the handling benefit of the 'performance' bushes outweighed by the harsh ride for fast road use?

I know these questions are subjective but any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks

D

Got mine at TRGB, full set, red, think thats performance. Ride isnt noticably harder in my opinion and unless youre racing dont think you need anything better. All the TR boys do kits and prices do vary....branded is usunally more expensive(Superpro). They are a fiddle to get in and there is lots of guidance here about how to do them. Given the back end is off you could do that first and see what you think before doing the front ones. You'll need a spring compressor (one for a six, not a general purpose one ) to do the fronts anyway. Can be done without but with risk of serious damage to you...so dont advise it. You can make one from threaded rod(x2) and 2 metal plates.

Once youve done the backs you'll know what the vchallenges are and have a personal view about difference in ride..

Regards

Robin

Hi D,

Superpro or Superflex, different brand names from the same source manufacturer. These ranges are actually engineered for the specific application by people who design suspension systems and components, which is why the individual items often differ in appearance from the originals - polyurethane and rubber are different materials, they behave differently, surprise surprise.

Nothing else even comes close, and at least some of the cheaper offerings that merely replicate the shape of the original item would be better thrown in the bin, and replaced by standard rubber.

One of the instances where you do in fact get you pay for.

Cheers,

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that I got mine (unbranded) at the TR shop about 2 years ago & fitted with 25% uprated & slightly lowered springs. kept the standard Dampers. It has transformed the car! The ride is no more harsh but roll has been hugely diminished.

Sorry I've not been aboutfor a while - pressure of work.

You say you have got the rear suspension apart. arguably switching to poly at the rear will not give you as much of a noticeable effect as doing the front.

Poly upper and lower rear spring insulators are worth doing, and easy. trailing arm more tricky. noticeable(ish) but there is so much else going on at the rear of an IRS chassis that the effects may be hidden unless everything else is in very good nick.

at the front you will notice a great deal of difference if you do the upper inners. again, easy job.

Superpro for me.

Personally if I had the rear apart and was intending to give the car some proper use, I would bite the bullet and get some good quality teflon splined driveshafts, and some new hubs from a trusted supplier. I did that at the outset on my 4A, using Revington parts. When you are 90+ on the motorway autobahn it is good to know the provenance of the bits that are driving you.

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6