Wheels under the arches

Chaps

I wonder whether anyone can throw some light on this problem

I have a 1970 TR6 that although a little scruffy  to my usually fussy eye the body appears never to have been off the chassis. However the wheels on the offside seem to sit further under the arches in terms off apparent offset than the N/S. All wheels are identical and the chassis seems to line up at various points with the body symetrically (under the arches etc) yet the wheels dont...

Anyone out there got or had a similar problem.

Lee

I had a similar problem on my 1969 tr6 until I replaced the springs and rubbers. I guess if its been driven without a passenger then the offside takes more of the stress and tends to sag a bit more. When I replaced the springs the front offside had a noticeable curve on it and the rubber collars were in a very poor condition almost no rubber left.    

Hope this helps

Geoff

naumann

The car sits level and all the camber angles look good...the wheels are sitting too far in on one side not too far tucked up under the arch.

lee

Guest Nigel Davies
I had exactly same problem, which I only discovered when I tried to fit wider 'minilite' type wheels. On suspension compression they would occasssionally touch the inside of wheelarch on drivers side.  I had checked in local garage and whilst they agreed there was a difference could see nothing wrong to cause it. The solution was to fit spacers on both sides.

Manufacturing/assembly tolerances did vary as Ron says but I don't think even BL were bad enough for it to be obvious to the naked eye!

Richard

You have higher opinion of BL than me!! ???

Ron

No the car is unrestored or at least the body has never been off.

I too have fitted spacers to overcome the problem.

Just a bit puzzled.

Strangely enough I have an original RHD Beetle Karmann again urestored and one rear wheel is probably 25mm further in on one side.

Lee

This is also a problem with the rear arch clearance of MGBs which gets aired quite regularly on their boards by people who have fitted a wire wheel conversion or wider wheels, I can't remember which side it is but it always seems the same way.

Ron