tr2 fuel pump

Hi, all, my fuel pump is leaking from the Pump to Carb's union.Hoping it just needs a new olive, question is, what size? I've got some 8mm ones which look "about right" but metric does'nt sound right for a 1955 Brit. Also 'owt else I need to be looking at?

Thanks.

I suspect that you will get an 8mm olive even if it is marked as being 5/16". The difference is minimal, 5/16 is 7.9375mm. The olive will easily compress to cover that small discrepancy.

Rgds Ian

I had this problem on my 4a recently when I replaced some fuel pipes.

I found that the olives that had a domed top surface worked OK but some had two tapered faces & a stop between them.

The ones with the stop leaked & I had to resort to sweating them to the pipe.

Dave

I find that old olives have oftened shrunk the pipe they are trying to seal, so replacing them alone isn't enough, you may need to make a new pipe as well. Sometimes you even have to replace the fittings to stop them weeping, but the whole process is so much easier with everything in good order. My Bristol has a similar fuel pump but one you can't get easily now and it took months to stop the bloody thing dribbling from somewhere.

AJ, yes it has Squashed the pipe, I had to file a "V" in the old olive and split it to get it off, might as well have just sawn 1/2" off the end of the pipe in the first place.Hoping to borrow a bending spring tomorrow so I can move the bend along a bit.