A type OD reattachment

(Following on from the oil seal, but this is a different issue so I've started another topic here for ease of searching / archiving).

I am reattaching the A type OD to the back of the gearbox. All the splines line up OK - with no springs in it mates up to the box just fine and the driving flange turns freely by hand, turning the appropriate gears inside the box.

When I put the springs on (shorter to the inside) I start to tighten using the nuts on the two longer studs. When the flanges are about .5" apart, the driving flange is no longer able to turn the gears by hand, and turning the nuts becomes rather stiff suddenly - probably more than I would have expected if it was just overcoming the springs' force. I understand that there is of course an amount of compression required here, but I was not sure that it should cause the mainshaft to bind...

Looking inside, the cam that drives the pump plunger is still about .25" away so that's not the problem.

Is this normal? Is something else fowling behind the thrust ring assembly?

One of my other reasons for concern is that in my enthusiasm taking the box apart, I did undo the OD unit and had the sun and planet gears out (very silly in hindsight RTFM first :o ) , but these were replaced (lining up the dots) and replaced, ensuring the splines lined up. Could I have stuffed something else up here that needs looking at?

So near, yet so far! :huh:

Edited by stallie

Have a close look at the plunger in which the little drive wheel sits for the pump. It could be bidding between the cam and the wheel holder. I assume you are using something like a wire loop to compress the pump spring. Mine was giving me grief to get back together til I saw I wasn't actually compressing the spring enough.

Good luck anyway.

Steve

Edited by steve_d

Thanks for the replies

All good now. I found that if the two long bolts were tightened more than 2-3 turns out of synch, then the mainshaft would not turn. So I tightened the long bolts a turn at a time and kept turning the mainshaft back and fwd per Buckeye advice and it mated just fine.

I did note that I had no need for the string/wire on the hydraulic pump to keep it away from the smaller end of the cam (I kept rotating the mainshaftback and forth through the 1/4 turn where it's the narrowest). The cam just touches the tapered edge of the pump and both slid neatly beside each other. All good and gasketed up. :D

Edited by stallie

"I did note that I had no need for the string/wire on the hydraulic pump to keep it away from the smaller end of the cam (I kept rotating the mainshaftback and forth through the 1/4 turn where it's the narrowest)."

I wish I'd known that when I reattached my A-type o/d on the 6. It took me blinking ages to get that piece of wire out from the oil pump plunger. Most times I'd get it out and the blasted o/d would have moved apart from the gearbox just enough to have to start over again.