Missing Carburettors, Manifold, Linkages etc

Hello,

I've recently recovered my 1964 TR4 from long term storage, that I imported from California 16 years ago and with renewed enthusiasm I'm continuing the conversion to RHD. However, since I last saw the car, someone has stolen the carburettors, inlet manifold and all the associated linkages etc. These seem to be pretty rare and/or extremely costly. So, I was wondering whether similar carburettors were fitted to other cars of the era so that I can widen my search (I'm not sure what other models would have used the same head/manifold etc).

I'm not too fussed about originality at this stage; I just want something cost effective that will work so that I can get it running again. I have the exhaust manifold, but that's pretty much it for that side of the engine.

However, if anyone can point me in the direction of a second-hand TR4 set of carbs/manifold/linkages etc at a reasonable price I'd be extremely grateful.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hello Paul,

Try TRGB. As a regular visitor to their loft I have seen lots of manifolds and carbs, both SU and Stromberg, several of them complete with the bits you need.

Their details are in TR Action and the web.

Regards,

Willie

Paul, Carbs for TR4 / 4A come up on e-bay quite regularly. There were two typs of carb used originally : Zenith Stromberg 175CD and S.U.H6

The Strombergs in particular seem fairly common. A quick search on e-bay reveals a fuly reconditioned set on offer at the moment for £255 but I think you should be able to find "as removed" units for a good bit less.

As Willie suggests TRGB may be a possible source and you could also try TR Shop in London. They seem to stock lots of second hand stuff. Might also be worth putting a "wanted" post on the Buy / Sell / Trade section of the forum. It's not uncommon for folks with Strombergs to convert to SU and hence spare Stromberg sets then come on the market.

Best of luck :)

Edited by Norfolkjohn

Hi,

If you are prone on originality, I seem to remember that Strombergs were installed in TR4s only between march and october 1963. So check your papers.

I have short intake manifolds (for H6s), cast iron exhaust ones and SUs as spares so if you are interested I can check my shelves.

Cheers,

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog

Paul, Carbs for TR4 / 4A come up on e-bay quite regularly. There were two typs of carb used originally : Zenith Stromberg 175CD and S.U.H6

The Strombergs in particular seem fairly common. A quick search on e-bay reveals a fuly reconditioned set on offer at the moment for £255 but I think you should be able to find "as removed" units for a good bit less.

As Willie suggests TRGB may be a possible source and you could also try TR Shop in London. They seem to stock lots of second hand stuff. Might also be worth putting a "wanted" post on the Buy / Sell / Trade section of the forum. It's not uncommon for folks with Strombergs to convert to SU and hence spare Stromberg sets then come on the market.

Best of luck :)

If you want to use SUs then you should probably be looking for HS6 as opposed to H6 carbs. The HS6s have a shorter body which allows them to be used with the TR4a siamesed manifold.

Rgds Ian

I have a pair of reconditioned HS6's off a TR4A with the inter-connecting linkages that you can have for £150 + postage. PM me know if interested.

Mick

If Paul JB doesn't take you up on the offer i would be very interested, next door to you in Kent.

Trevor