Testing the dynamo

Chaps,

My car is still not charging.

I pulled the field connection and tried to polarize as per the instructions on the moss u tube vid.

No spark at the terminals.

I then put voltage down the field wire to see if I'd get the runaway voltage again as described on said u tube vid.

I'm only getting a steady 11.8 volts out of the unit.

Is this a sure sign that the unit is u/s?

The voltage reg also seems to be doing nothing, but am I correct in thinking that it'll do nothing until the correct voltage is coming out of the dynamo? Neither bobbins are moving even when turning ignition on and off.

I have continuity checked both wires to the unit.

Paul

Chaps,

My car is still not charging.

I pulled the field connection and tried to polarize as per the instructions on the moss u tube vid.

No spark at the terminals.

I then put voltage down the field wire to see if I'd get the runaway voltage again as described on said u tube vid.

I'm only getting a steady 11.8 volts out of the unit.

Is this a sure sign that the unit is u/s?

The voltage reg also seems to be doing nothing, but am I correct in thinking that it'll do nothing until the correct voltage is coming out of the dynamo? Neither bobbins are moving even when turning ignition on and off.

I have continuity checked both wires to the unit.

Paul

Paul,

I've not seen the video and am puzzled by "putting voltage own the field" as well as by the 11.8v result. You can test the generator independently of the circuit by jumping the gen terminals and putting a voltmeter between the field and ground.(leads off). You should get 13v+ at idle if the gen works. If you do, look for a bad ground at the control box, incorrect wiring, or defective box. Tom

Cheers Tom

With the gen leads off and the engine running, I'm only getting 0.5 of a volt out of it. So I think it's u/s

The Moss vids are interesting, but I have to say, they do conflict some other testing methods I've heard of!

Anyway, I'm going to take the unit to my local rebuilder this morning for him to test / rebuild.

Paul