How many would be interested in buying a strut brace for their TR7 /8. I approached a company for a price to manufacture one for me, and obviously it helps to keep the price down if there’s enough for a small production run.

Their web site is : fjperformance.co.uk

I'd be interested for the TR7 i'm putting together soon if its going to be around the £50/60 mark. one thing I think that should be pointed out for other people is a straight forward strut brace would only work on 4 cylinder cars, as carbs/filters obstruct on the V8's unless you got for a strut > firewall style bracing system.

looking on the site at the fancy chrome braces, i noticed they no longer offer chroming... what colour would they be avalible in?

Tom

Yes you are right; it would only be for a standard 2.0l engine bay. I forgot about the carb set-up on the 8.

I'm not sure about the colour, I'm more interested in the price he comes up with.

I had promised to send this guy a drawing with dimentions.  I was going to send him the drawing that was published in the TR Drivers club mag, but I can't find it now. Anyone have a copy to scan and send to him or me?

I have read that fitting a strut brace does make a big difference to the cars handling, especially in respect to scuttle shake. My car seems to suffer badly from scuttle shake why is this?.

Yes you are right; it would only be for a standard 2.0l engine bay. I forgot about the carb set-up on the 8.

I'm not sure about the colour, I'm more interested in the price he comes up with.

I had promised to send this guy a drawing with dimentions.  I was going to send him the drawing that was published in the TR Drivers club mag, but I can't find it now. Anyone have a copy to scan and send to him or me?

I have read that fitting a strut brace does make a big difference to the cars handling, especially in respect to scuttle shake. My car seems to suffer badly from scuttle shake why is this?.

I hate to disillusion you but I suspect a strut brace would make no difference! They stiffen between the towers and that on a TR7 is a very rigid part. I suspect the scuttle shake is the shell flexing around the cockpit and the only way of resolving that would be a fore and aft brace something like a ....roof! XJS Cabrios ran an A frame type brace which went from the front of the engine bay to the bulkhead all underneath the car bit I can't see where you'd get the space. The only other way I could see of doing it would be to triangulate the tops of the suspension towers back to the bulhead which some Jags did as well.
  • 9 months later...