Speedometer cable

Hello

I think I know the answer to this one, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.

The speedo cable started to squeak pretty badly. Its a few years old now, but not more than a few thousand miles at most. (It is the cable not the speedometer)

Is it worth the trouble of separating the inner & outer then grease/oil the sleeve - obviously not to overdo it & ruin the speedometer. If I bought a new one, is it worth adding extra lubricant?

As an aside to this, my car consumed about three cables in as many months when it was replaced about 10 years ago, they kept snapping & I was very, very careful not to have tight bends or snags. In desperation I put an ancient, filthy, original back in, but that was so worn the speedo waved about dramatically. This current cable is cable attempt #3.

bonus: the cable inner makes a useful, if oily, drain prodding tool ....

...If the old one works but squeaks then give it a good soak in oil, wipe off all traces of oil and re-install.

A dry lubricant could be used.

New ones shouldn't need oiling.

Is the outer sleeve in good order - no kinks or breaks to let in moisture.

Roger