Rocker cover hold down studs

Hi,

Can anyone please advise me the thread size for the rocker cover hold down studs (the other end screws into the head). I know it is 1/2" but need the actual thread size so that I can get some nuts to fit.

It seems that the protruding thread on mine is too short to secure the alloy rocker cover with a new gasket in place (I think the original studs may have been cut down by the engine builder/previous owner as they show evidence of having been hacksawed off). I wannted to use 2 nuts (one as a locknut) to try to remove the old studs - anyone see any pitfalls with doing this?

Thanks in advance

The thread sizes for the standard rocker cover stud (S-T number 111717) are 5/16" x 18 UNC for the end that screws into the head & 5/16 x 24 UNF for the end that accepts the nut that holds the cover down. I think that the 1/2" that you refer to is the spanner size NOT the thread size. There is nothing wrong in using two nuts locked together to remove a stud; however it may be quicker to beg/borrow a stud extractor of the correct size.