Overdrive isolator swithc adjustment

Evening,

I think my o/d isolator switch (on the gbox cover) needs adjustment. When in o/d 4th gear I sometimes need to hold the gearstick firmly in 4th (i.e. push and hold it firmly into 4th to the limit of its travels) to stop the overdrive slipping in and out, especially when warm. I'm thinking that it is the isolator switch that needs screwing in by half a turn or so, but I DO NOT want to take the gearbox tunnel out!

Is it possible to somehow adjust the isolator from under the car without taking the car to pieces!

Evening,

I think my o/d isolator switch (on the gbox cover) needs adjustment. When in o/d 4th gear I sometimes need to hold the gearstick firmly in 4th (i.e. push and hold it firmly into 4th to the limit of its travels) to stop the overdrive slipping in and out, especially when warm. I'm thinking that it is the isolator switch that needs screwing in by half a turn or so, but I DO NOT want to take the gearbox tunnel out!

Is it possible to somehow adjust the isolator from under the car without taking the car to pieces!

yes.what you need is a small child with thin arms,who can handle a spanner..

i think there are paper washers on the swthches to adjust the depth.

richard

yes.what you need is a small child with thin arms,who can handle a spanner..

i think there are paper washers on the swthches to adjust the depth.

richard

I think my wife's arms may just fit..............!

I DO NOT want to take the gearbox tunnel out!

Yes gearbox cover is a bit of a fag. But I don't believe you can do anything with the switches otherwise. Not just getting the switch out, checking/removing washers, but also not b***ering the possibly brittle wiring.

As Richard says, the height is adjusted (to a degree) by removing washers.

However, having removed the H frame you can access the switch by trepanning a suitable hole in the top of the gearbox cover. Look at Buckeye for pics of the gearbox showing the switch location. Be very careful when trepanning, there isn't much clearance between the box cover and the switches/wiring. Then cover the hole with a bit of glued-on carpet or sardine tin or summat.

Ivor

Yes gearbox cover is a bit of a fag. But I don't believe you can do anything with the switches otherwise. Not just getting the switch out, checking/removing washers, but also not b***ering the possibly brittle wiring.

As Richard says, the height is adjusted (to a degree) by removing washers.

However, having removed the H frame you can access the switch by trepanning a suitable hole in the top of the gearbox cover. Look at Buckeye for pics of the gearbox showing the switch location. Be very careful when trepanning, there isn't much clearance between the box cover and the switches/wiring. Then cover the hole with a bit of glued-on carpet or sardine tin or summat.

Ivor

Hi Ivor,

O/D wiring loom is new-ish (15 years old), and the switch doesn't need to come out, simply be turned 180 degrees, so I'm keen to avoid taking the interior out, especially as I've only just fitted a new one! Just wondering if I can fashion a tool to tighten from below the car..........

Evening,

I think it will be nigh on impossible to do anything without that gearbox cover off. Having just been there with my overdrive saga the tool you will need to undo the switch (they are very tight) is plumbers wrench or similar. If you can even reach it from below you risk snagging/damaging the wiring etc.

Go on, take the cover off. you'll soon get it down to a fine art like me!!

Mike

I think it will be nigh on impossible to do anything without that gearbox cover off. Having just been there with my overdrive saga the tool you will need to undo the switch (they are very tight) is plumbers wrench or similar. If you can even reach it from below you risk snagging/damaging the wiring etc.

Go on, take the cover off. you'll soon get it down to a fine art like me!!

Mike

Mike, believe me, been there and got the T shirt! About 8 years ago my 6 decided that it would really enjoy jamming itself in reverse at the most inconvenient of times. The only fix was to take the top cover off the gearbox and reposition the reverse gear selector. Obviously to do that everything has to come out including the tunnel! The first time she did it was on a 2 week holiday on France. It was that scorcher of a summer where half the OAPs in France died of heatstroke. I had to strip the car down in 44 degree heat and no shade. I had to do it twice that day alone (it jammed again that evening). I had it down to such a fine art that I once did the whole job in Ashbourne in 25 minutes (admittedly using air tools in a friendly tyre repair garage!).

After the 8th time I got fed up and replaced the top cover (using a Dolomite Sprint cover; a quarter the price of a "TR6" item, and they are identical). I'd put off fitting an all new interior because of the fault but once fixed I fitted it, so I am loathed to take the interior and carpets out again!

Mike, believe me, been there and got the T shirt! About 8 years ago my 6 decided that it would really enjoy jamming itself in reverse at the most inconvenient of times. The only fix was to take the top cover off the gearbox and reposition the reverse gear selector. Obviously to do that everything has to come out including the tunnel! The first time she did it was on a 2 week holiday on France. It was that scorcher of a summer where half the OAPs in France died of heatstroke. I had to strip the car down in 44 degree heat and no shade. I had to do it twice that day alone (it jammed again that evening). I had it down to such a fine art that I once did the whole job in Ashbourne in 25 minutes (admittedly using air tools in a friendly tyre repair garage!).

After the 8th time I got fed up and replaced the top cover (using a Dolomite Sprint cover; a quarter the price of a "TR6" item, and they are identical). I'd put off fitting an all new interior because of the fault but once fixed I fitted it, so I am loathed to take the interior and carpets out again!

Well done Jake, you are a fully paid up member of the TR interior removal club - maybe we should form a breakaway group!

...the switch doesn't need to come out, simply be turned 180 degrees, so I'm keen to avoid taking the interior out.,....

The switch must be in tight otherwise oil will leak out. There is no provision for adjustment, and if it's so loose you can tighten it 180 without removing washer(s) I'm surprised there's any oil left in your gearbox.

Only way to adjust the height is to take the switch out and remove a washer. Assuming there is a spare washer to remove of course.

If you cover the interior with plastic sheeting and a cotton dust sheet it should be OK. I have a cream interior but I managed to renew the gearbox cover without messing it up. Although I can entirely understand you not wanting to take the cover off....

Ivor