Front wheel noise

Chaps,

I just brought my car back from its MOT (it passed :) but on the way homea knocking noise started to eminate from the front og the car. I think it is around the front right wheel.

As road speed increase it increases in frequecy

I can also feel it through the steering wheel

When breaking lightly it get nosier/worse before applying the brakes harder where it disappears.

I am thinking wheel bearing/ brakes.

Any advise where to check?

I rebuilt the front suspension earlier in the spring but have drive 1000+ miles since without a problem. In preperation for its MOT I changed the steering gaiters and lower steering coupling since they looked tired. Everything was fine the week prior to MOT - used car everyday for work.

Something in the MOT test has caused something to fail.

I am thinking wheel bearing? Or possibly brake pads dislodged.

I am going to strip down on Saturday for a closer look but wanted to guage opinion on what to check. Does anyone also know the best way to check wheel bearing float? There is some play (especially when the car is warm and has been for a run) Its hard to estimate how much but rocking the wheel top to bottom I can feel movement - is this normal?

Please help! I'm due to move house in about a week to Suffolk and need to drive the car to my new house rather than the hassle of finding a trailer. I dare not risk driving the car until this is sorted.

Many thanks!

Neil

Neil,

I can't imagine that an MOT test would cause something to fail on the front end.

Is it possible that the tyre has picked something up in the tread or possibly the tread delaminating? Worth checking before you strip any further.

Have you got wire wheels? - could be a loose wheel hub.

Cheers

Graeme

I would retrace your steps in fitting the gaiters and steering coupling, in case you had failed to tighten something properly. There should be a little bit of movement when rocking the wheel top to bottom, that sounds okay. However, if you jack the wheel up and spin it you should hear or feel a really bad bearing. Most of the MOT places put the front wheel on a "shaker" to test for suspension wear, perhaps this has loosened something.

I can't quite see how the pads would dislodge, but the caliper could be loose. As you have rebuilt the suspension it probably wouldn't take you long to spot the fault.

Rod