Pop-up lights problem

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem, but searching revealed nothing. One of my headlights doesn't come fully up and when the lights are turned off it doesn't fully retract (the headlamp goes up a little and then back down to sit about 10 or 15mm high). It seems to have forgotten where fully up is. I've played around with the manual knob but no joy. I'm sure I've had this problem in the past but can't remember what I did to solve it!

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum,

Ah the joys of TR7 headlights a joy to behold!

The lights on our cars are well known for failing to pop up, pop down - sometimes they will go mad and just run on their own.

Has this problem just happened or have things been going strange for a while now?

firstly I would start with all of the electrical connections- clean up the earth points and the red plug connectors under the bonnet behind the lamps. Other than that try swapping the run stop relays around to see if that helps.

Other than that its worth pulling the whole assembley out and checking that things are well lubricated / greased (take care not to damage the paintwork).

Its worth looking at Roger Williams book (Veloce) How to restore Triumph TR7 & 8 or even better getting hold of the "technicalities" disc from the Register which will give you loads of info and pointers on what has to be fixed.

One last point - take extreme care whilst working on the headlight lift mecks, as things in there are powered all of the time and will be very unforgiving on fingers etc if trapped!

Ian,

I suggest unplugging the red connector to the headlight motor and manually raising and lowering the headlight. Suspect it a alignment problem most likely the rubber headlight surround is loose maybe.

Again remember don't mnaually operating the headlight, if still connected (it could easly have your finger off)

Hope this helps :D

Edited by tr7jim

Thanks for the suggestions. Have got it sorted now. I did clean the connector (no difference). Crawled underneath and noticed the nut that holds the linkage to the headlight unit onto the motor was loose. Tightened it up and headlight now performs as it should. It even managed to pass its MOT first time around this morning. So I guess there's some life in the old girl still!

Hi Ian,

Worth giving all of the linkages and joints a good spray with lubricant (spray grease) will help no end keeping everything sweet.

cheers

Ian

Guest riinggao

Good article! I want my blog to get better, willing to share your blog. Thank you for sharing this - so insightful! I like your article, thank you. To thank you for your article, I like it. Thank you for sharing, I like your article. Done well, like your job, keep it coming. China Electronic Products

our goal is to delight you with our distinctive collection of mindful ed hardy products while providing value and excellent service. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction and we offer only 100% satisfacted service and ed hardy products. Please feel free to contact us at any time; we are committed to your 100% customer satisfaction. If you're looking for the best service and best selection, stay right where you are and continue shopping at here is your best online choice for the reasonable prices. So why not buy your ed hardy now, I am sure they we won’t let you down.

chi flat irons

chi hair tools

chi hair straighteners