Are copper brake pipes illegal in Oz??

"Copper" bundy tubing is not pure copper - that would be dangerous. Copper pipe is fine for low pressure duty, such as fuel lines (including the PI cars, because 110 psi is not really HIGH pressure, as seen in brake lines).

Kunifer is a 90% copper, 10% nickel alloy, which makes it much stronger than copper, yet not subject to the rusting which afflicts conventional, steel, bundy tubing. As soon as a stone chip or something else damages the coating on a steel bundy tubing, the rot starts and, if not spotted, failure can occur when an emergency stop is required - very nasty.

What Kunifer bundy tubing requires is that it be clipped firmly and frequently to the static part of the body/chassis (and across the back axle in the TR2/3/4) so that it is not subject to movement, for movement over a protracted period could result in work hardening and fracture. Steel bundy tubing is less susceptible to this problem. That said, who would want to see their bundy tubing flapping about anyway? It's only common sense to secure it firmly.

I imagine that most cars which have been restored will have been fitted with Kunifer bundy tubing, and rightly so.

Ian Cornish

Hi Kev,

That's correct, copper brake pipes ARE illegal in OZ. This also apparently applies to 'Kunifer" pipes. We are only allowed to fit steel Bundy piping to our cars. I've been through all this (after purchasing a complete set of Moss copper brake pipes... :huh: ).

Tony

This could be subject to different legislation in different states. I rebuilt my TR4 when I lived in NSW and my local brake shop made up some copper alloy brake pipes for me and the car sailed through its rego inspection. The car also sailed through the Queensland inspection when I moved up here.

This could be subject to different legislation in different states. I rebuilt my TR4 when I lived in NSW and my local brake shop made up some copper alloy brake pipes for me and the car sailed through its rego inspection. The car also sailed through the Queensland inspection when I moved up here.

You could be right Tony, it wouldn't surprise me as we have some weird rules over here.... ;) It would be wise to check in your own state before fitting copper pipes.

Tony

If they are illegal no-one has told East Perth licensing centre where I have taken three cars fitted with them and passed inspection with no comment. Of course you could be unlucky somewhere else.

If they are illegal no-one has told East Perth licensing centre where I have taken three cars fitted with them and passed inspection with no comment. Of course you could be unlucky somewhere else.

According to Welshpool licensing center, they are not allowed...I should have put them on and gone to East Perth....Oh well, ta Andy.

Tony

Hi kevj,

Copper is certainly illegal in Victoria, and you won't get a Roadworthy Certificate if it's spotted by a tester. It's too soft and a stone thrown up can crush it.

Most brake shops carry rolls of 1/4" OD brake line bundy tube. If you give them back straight "cut to size" lengths, most will put the end fittings on and do the appropriate flares. You just have to nominate a male or female fitting, and where you need a single or double flare. Don't try and flare the pipes yourself, as it's best done with the correct equipment. Repco etc carry a cheap brake line bending tool made by ABW.

Fuel line is 5/16" bundy tube, usually obtainable from carby repair shops.

Regards,

Viv.

There are two types of "copper" pipes - one is a soft very easy to bend, with the fingers, copper and the other is Kunifer which has nickel (?) added to it. The latter is harder to bend but is much tougher and is my choice. The copper pipe seems too soft and needs very good support, it is cheaper but if I use it I only use it on the clutch side. Both types are readily for sale in the UK Motor Factors.

Perhaps that is why there appears to be a discrepancy between States , down under ? I have never seen steel aftermarket tube , off the roll, available in the UK, not that I have asked for it - why put a rust-prone bit back on the car?

Rod