Hello

New to this, 1st posting so hello to everybody and please be patient with me

Recently bought a 1968 TR5 fitted with painted 4.5" x 15" 60 spoke wire wheels running on 195 65 15 Sime tyres, steering awful and heavy and worried about stress on steering rack etc with the extra grip, therefore have fitted vredestein 165 80 15 tyres much better on the steering but on fitting new tyres found the rims are not running true, going to buy new rims so wanting advise on:

1. are the tyres Ive bought ok for the car.

2 Was the TR 5 originally fitted with 4.5"J 60 spoke or 5.5"J 72 spoke rims as an additional option as the advice Ive received differs.

3.Enjoy driving the car and enjoy cleaning it but dont want to be thinking Ive got to clean the chromed wheels constantly so would sticking to painted be a better option and was that the original spec as an additional option ? guess Im asking Chrome or Painted

Sorry if I seem confused but the truth is I am the more I read the worst it gets

Thankyou

Kev

Hi Kev,

and welcome.

195/65 does not belong on a 4.5" rim. Lethal, and heavy imprecise steering to boot.

Your new tyres are just fine, good choice. Don't use cheap inner tubes though, stick with Michelins.

If you wish to continue with wires, 5.5" 72-spoke wires are ideal. Original 4.5" 60-spoke wheels were underspecified, the optional 5.5" 72-spoke became standard on the TR6 for very good reasons.

Personally I dislike chrome wires, I'd go for painted every time, and yes both were available originally.

Cheers,

Alec

Welcome Kev

I have been using chrome wires for 6 years initially on my 4 and for the past two years on my 5. The cleaning is a bit of a myth. I use auto glym clean wheels, which you spray on and jet wash off and they look great, with no grief.

If you get them balanced by someone who knows what they are doing, the driving experience can be faultless.

As always each to their own

Cheers Carl

Never mind the cleaning aspect . . . .

Since when did chroming do anything for the performance of a wire wheel ? As opposed to compromising its performance, such as it is . . . . although why anyone should prefer a wire wheel to a steel rim, or even an alloy, escapes me. OK, arguably they look good, albeit that's a matter of personal taste (and not mine), but they don't work well.

Cheers,

Alec

Strangely TR5's came with 15" x 5" steel wheels (with the fake Rostyle trims).

Yet as stated, the optional wire wheels remained the 60 spoke 15" x 4.5" carried over from the TR4A. Certainly undersized for the grunt of a well tuned 5.

The TR4A eared knock-ons were changed to octagonal chromed nuts, which came with a short spanner that was belted with a hammer.

I fitted a set of 72 spoked 15" x 5.5" chromed wires with polished SS spokes to my 5, which looked the part on a Signal Red body.

185 x 15 tyres were the correct size for the 5.5" rims.

Regards,

Viv.

Oh Alec, I meant that 185 x 15 tyres were the correct size for the new 5.5" rims, which would have been under-tyred with 165 x 15's.

It's a mystery why the factory stayed with skinny 165 x 15's for both the 5" steels and 4.5" wires, when the TR5 had so much more power. Perhaps so they only needed one speedo.

Still regret selling the 5, as it was gangs of fun.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Viv,

the correct size tyre for the 5.5" rim TR5/6 fitment is a 165/80. 185/80 offers improved ride comfort and greater ground clearance, it doesn't offer much improvement in grip, and less in handling - breakaway speed on dry corners might increase modestly, but at the expense of controllability and potential for correction. In this instance we're talking of wire wheels, much more prone to distortion and damage than steel or alloy wheels. Wires just add another dimension to the slip angle of the tyres. Tyre spec has to be considered in the wider context of wheel, suspension, steering and transmission specification, as well as that of engine power. Over-tyre a wire wheel and both it and the hub adapter will soon be b*gg*r*d - and that's what happens with a 185 or 195 section tyre.

Contrary to popular belief, Triumph engineers had a pretty good idea of what they were about, at least most of the time - accepted the bean counters got in the way of good engineering practice on occasion. The 165/80 XAS was overall probably the best option available in the late 60s/early 70s, and I'd suggest remains that way. In the real world, most of us can't afford the price of XAS tyres nowadays, but there are several reasonable alternatives in 165/80x15.

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Thanks to everybody for the replies.

Going to take the advise from Alec regarding sizes and order 5.5" 72 spoke wires and then fit my already bought 165 80 15 tyres, chrome or painted is the only choice to make now but again thanks to all for your views.

Regards

Kev