Hello all!

Over the past few uses, my car seems to be pushing a lot of stemy deposits out of the breather pipe that comes from the block. It's getting so bad that it fills the cockpit with steamy fumes and leaves a smokescreen (steamscreen?) behind the car. Any ideas on how to rectify the problem?

Apart from that, the car's running really well and am still enjoying it as much as ever!

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Richard Craig

Hi Richard,

that doesn't sound too healthy !

Is the breather cap on the rocker cover OK, as in not gunged-up ? Is there any 'mayonnaise' visible inside the rocker cover when you remove the cap ? How does the oil on the dipstick look ? And is there any sign of oil in the water, cooling system ?

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Richard,

that doesn't sound too healthy !

Is the breather cap on the rocker cover OK, as in not gunged-up ? Is there any 'mayonnaise' visible inside the rocker cover when you remove the cap ? How does the oil on the dipstick look ? And is there any sign of oil in the water, cooling system ?

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the quick reply!

There is no mayonnaise visible inside the rocker cover, nor is there any on the dipstick. There isn't any sign of oil in the water as far as I can tell.

Regarding the breather cap - with use, the car always seems to leak a little oil out here and it resides around the lips of the rocker cover. Is this normal? It's difficult to tell how gunged up the cap is, should I just buy a new one?

Rgds

Richard

Hi Alec,

Thanks for the quick reply!

There is no mayonnaise visible inside the rocker cover, nor is there any on the dipstick. There isn't any sign of oil in the water as far as I can tell.

Regarding the breather cap - with use, the car always seems to leak a little oil out here and it resides around the lips of the rocker cover. Is this normal? It's difficult to tell how gunged up the cap is, should I just buy a new one?

Rgds

Richard

Hi Richard,

It sounds like your pistons rings leave a little to be desired.

The crankcase ventilation was not really adequate with just the single

breather pipe and vented filler cap, that's why they added a breather

to the rocker cover on later cars (that's later 4s and 4As)

Without it, there is pressure in the rocker cover, that explains why

you have some leakage round that area. A new gasket would help, and

make sure the rocker cover lip is not bent up too much, limiting the

seal against the head. This does happen over a period of time.

Fitting the later rocker cover, vented to the inlet manifold would

help reduce the emissions from the breather pipe, but I think you

have to work towards new rings.

How are your compressions? If they are down, just think about the extra

power you will get by replacing the rings - there's your incentive.

Without