TR4 Boot Retaining Cable

I am in the process of restoring a very early TR4 that has the retaining cable for the boot lid. Because this part was not listed in the Spare Parts Catalogue I am having trouble with the attachment. Can anyone help with illustrations, close-up photos or a clear explanation of the attachment of both ends of this cable? And if anyone knows the approximate commission numbers of when this cable was fitted, I would be curious to know.

gary

I am in the process of restoring a very early TR4 that has the retaining cable

for the boot lid. Because this part was not listed in the Spare Parts Catalogue

I am having trouble with the attachment. Can anyone help with illustrations,

close-up photos or a clear explanation of the attachment of both ends of this

cable? And if anyone knows the approximate commission numbers of when this cable

was fitted, I would be curious to know.

Hi Gary,

Have you tried looking in the factory workshop manual?

There's a photo of it in there - not too sure exactly what

it shows as my manual is not to hand, but it should help.

I don't know the commission numbers, but very early TR4s

only - maybe the first 2000? Maybe even less.

Also, the very early TR4s didn't have the TR4 badge on the

bootlid (in case you didn't know)

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Here is a picture from the early Workshop Manual showing the safety wire. I believe that all the early TR4s with the bent wire bootlid stay would have had the safety wire.

And here are some partial picture showing the safety wire on a early car. I jsut used some fexible stainless steel sailboat rigging wire and swaged some loops on both ends. There is a hole in the lower stay fitting, and I just looped it around the bootlid reinforcing tube on the lid.post-5015-127704972827_thumb.jpgpost-5015-127704976128_thumb.jpg

post-5015-127704972827_thumb.jpg

post-5015-127704976128_thumb.jpg

I thank both of you for the info. However, here's the problem. I have my original retaining cable. The small brackets attached to both ends of the cable are identical in shape and size but have two different size mounting holes. What I assume to be the upper end of the cable would fit perfectly on the stay rod pivot pin and be held by the pivot pin clip. There is no hole on or near the boot lid bracket for any additional bolts or screws, even though the illustration in the Workshop Manual shows a bolt. The bracket on the lower end of the cable has a much smaller hole and the hole on the body bracket is even smaller. This makes me think the lower attachment may be by a self-tapping screw. But if that's the case, it probably would not allow the cable bracket to pivot unless it was a special screw with a shoulder . Otherwise I think that might eventually result in cable breakage due to repeated flexing. Without a close-up view of the attachment at both ends I can only make assumptions to what is correct. I sure wish this was included in the Spare Parts Catalog, even part numbers could help a little.