TR3 rear end gear lash

Can anyone tell me how much lash there should be in the rear axle? Lately I have noticed a noise from the rear when letting the clutch out. It is also noticible when letting off the gas after accelerating.

Under car investigation reveals that I can turn the drive shaft by hand for quite a distance before the gears in the rear contact each other. This is clearly the source of the noise. The flanges appear to be good and the driveshaft bolts are tight.

My question is, what is normal here? Is it time for a rear end overhaul?

Thanks

Zimm

Are you sure the movement is within the axle housing and is not due to failure of the bearings in the prop shaft's universal joints?

If the crown wheel and pinion are not meshing properly (i.e. not aligned properly), you will get excessive wear, which is not a good idea.

It is possible that you have lost a tooth (or teeth) from either pinion or crown wheel, or it may be that a bearing is failing and permitting movement.

If you believe the problem lies inside the axle housing, best get it out a.s.a.p.. Not difficult, it's just very heavy and difficult to manoeuvre, so best undertaken by 2 people (especially if you are my size!).

Ian Cornish

Hi,

I recently had my diff rebuilt as I was getting a clunk from the rear axle, mainly when pulling away from junctions.

Might be worth checked the rear suspension and dampers to make sure it's all tight, as I understand that a loose rear damper can make a noise.

If it's of any use I've attached a photo (I hope) of the play when rotating the rear wheel after the diff was rebuilt. The arrows on the wing shows the play from the rear wheel. I'm not sure what is acceptable, however the clunking has gone.

Cheers, Ed

post-1399-127352317519_thumb.jpg

post-1399-127352317519_thumb.jpg