Hello all. For some reason my brakes just started pulling to the right yesterday. If I am coming to a gradual stop I don't notice anything, but if I push hard and quick there is a distinct grab on the front right and the car ('56 TR3 w/ front disk brakes)jerks that way. One time it even locked up the front right when I was double checking. Is this just air in the left line or something else? The master cylinder is newly refurbished (~5 months ago) by Apple Hydraulics (I'm in the USA), and at that time the whole system was drained and bled.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric,

I had a similar problem a few years back and it was a sticking brake piston. So I would suggest removing the wheel to make sure the piston is retracting after use - if it is not, it could be pitting on the piston and/or bore and, depending on how severe, it is a relatively simple job to either polish out the pitting with 1500 grit wet & dry or replace the pistons (do both sides) with a set of stainless steel ones from Moss or TRF.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of that. I'll check it out.

BTW, beautiful 3A you got there. Where did you get the aeroscreens? I've got a pair mounted on mine and love them, but they sit a little higher off the body of the car than yours appear to.

Thanks again,

Eric

Thanks Eric,

My screens are conversions of my original 1960s Brooklands aeroscreens to look like original ST Aeroscreens for a fraction of the cost of real ST ones (if you can find them that is, and at £2,000 a pair if you do I'm happy with mine) or the full production replicas. My conversions have a machined frame, ST Areoscreen profile glass, cast aluminum feet, rubber seals and sit much lower now with higher glass. I wrote an article on the subject in TRaction 235 (June 2009) pages 32 - 33. Parts for the Brooklands conversions and reproduction ST Aeroscreens are made by TRR member Tom Maddock who is contactable via the Forum.

Cheers

Andrew

PS, I notice you are not a Register member so you wouldn't get a copy of ‘TRAction’; the magazine is a good reason to join the Register alone. ;)