TR4A Front Springs

I'm wanting to renew the front springs but don't want to go to the expense of buying the TR spring removal tool.

Can anyone out there advise me how to remove the springs without this tool.

Thanks David

What you need is to make up one of these. Threaded bar and some heavy washers and a bit of scrap angle total cost about £5.

Stuart.

springcompressor002.jpg

What you need is to make up one of these. Threaded bar and some heavy washers and a bit of scrap angle total cost about £5.

Stuart.

springcompressor002.jpg

Stuart,

In the background to your photo of your home made spring compressor is what looks like the bottom edge of a rear wing and more particularly the attachment point for the rear wing stay.

If that is correct, it looks as if there is small joggle in the attachment - it isn't just a straight 'tag'.

Do you have a suitable close up photo of the attachment point that you could post here - Pls?

Rgds Ian

Hi Stuart

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post the pic of the home made compressor; at the risk of seeming an idiot can you explain where the components fit relative to the spring. I assume that the angle bracket fits under the spring - what about the 'tube' member.

Thanks David

Ian Im afraid I dont. The picture was taken about three years ago and that wing was actually a very poor repro that I had to cut in half, fit the two halves to the car and then adjust and weld a fillet into the gap to get the right shape and it didnt have a stay bracket at all so I just made that one up to suit. The slight joddle upwards just gave a better line to the stay so it lined up with the chassis attachment point. The car was an abandoned resto brought in by a customer that had all the inner shell welded up and painted (Badly!!)at one of those "Restoration " college courses without any thought to even trying any of the outer panels on the shell. Due to his budget constraints I had to make all the outer panels fit to the shell which was "Interesting" to say the least :angry:

All the wings I have here at the moment have a variety of brackets some original and some repro and all the stays are different and all bent in different shapes :blink: I suggest you make your own up with about 1/4" joddle upwards, as long as they are the same both sides then that will be fine.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post the pic of the home made compressor; at the risk of seeming an idiot can you explain where the components fit relative to the spring. I assume that the angle bracket fits under the spring - what about the 'tube' member.

Thanks David

As you look at the picture, the two nuts together on the left are locked together above the large washer on the top of the turret once you put the threaded bar up through after you have removed the shocker. The angle plate sits between the four studs under the spring pan and the tube and then the large washer go on next to give you clearance to work below the trunnion with the lower nut being held with a spanner whilst you use a socket drive on the two locked together nuts on the top. This means you can use the compressor on a fully built car. Once assembled through the spring wind the compressor up until the suspension starts to approach the point where the lower arms are nearly horizontal. This is so you can remove the inner nuts on the lower spring pan easily as they are clear of the chassis by then.

Stuart.

As you look at the picture, the two nuts together on the left are locked together above the large washer on the top of the turret once you put the threaded bar up through after you have removed the shocker. The angle plate sits between the four studs under the spring pan and the tube and then the large washer go on next to give you clearance to work below the trunnion with the lower nut being held with a spanner whilst you use a socket drive on the two locked together nuts on the top. This means you can use the compressor on a fully built car. Once assembled through the spring wind the compressor up until the suspension starts to approach the point where the lower arms are nearly horizontal. This is so you can remove the inner nuts on the lower spring pan easily as they are clear of the chassis by then.

Stuart.

Thanks a lot Stuart I'll give it a go.

regards

David

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart - I've made the spring compressor and it works a treat; one more q if thats ok. On lower wishbone, as well as the bolts, there is a stud (item 45 of Fig 5 in suspension section of w/shop man)can't seem to remove the nut without the whole thing turning- there seems to be a rubber 'bing' on the upper surface of the wishbone. Don't want to force it out without knowing a bit more about it.

Regards, David