Odd one: I couldn't open the bonnet

Yesterday, I tried to open the TR's bonnet. The dzus bolts acted fine, but the bonnet wouldn't open. The front part of the safety hook device is a little hinge-like thing with a flattened bolt. That rounded off thing touched the front apron! I was unable to open the bonnet without force and without scratching the paint on the apron... After some headscratching and some bad language, I had an idea: I carefully inserted my plastic TR-register's membership card between the bolt and the apron and started pulling. With the help of a little WD40 acting as a lubricant, things went without any damage!

After opening the bonnet, I tried to estatblish the source of the problem. For now, I'm tinking along the line of the bonnet stay! When the bonnet is opened, all weight is pushing down on the bonnet stay, and that alters the position of the bonnet stay base plate / security hook device forward!

So, here I am. Please correct me if you need to and what's more: do you have a more permanent solution to this problem (which will happen again, I'm sure!)

At least I was able to make good use of my TR Register's membership card!

Menno

Yesterday, I tried to open the TR's bonnet. The dzus bolts acted fine, but the bonnet wouldn't open. The front part of the safety hook device is a little hinge-like thing with a flattened bolt. That rounded off thing touched the front apron! I was unable to open the bonnet without force and without scratching the paint on the apron... After some headscratching and some bad language, I had an idea: I carefully inserted my plastic TR-register's membership card between the bolt and the apron and started pulling. With the help of a little WD40 acting as a lubricant, things went without any damage!

After opening the bonnet, I tried to estatblish the source of the problem. For now, I'm tinking along the line of the bonnet stay! When the bonnet is opened, all weight is pushing down on the bonnet stay, and that alters the position of the bonnet stay base plate / security hook device forward!

So, here I am. Please correct me if you need to and what's more: do you have a more permanent solution to this problem (which will happen again, I'm sure!)

At least I was able to make good use of my TR Register's membership card!

Menno

Difficult one that Menno, the fixing plate for the catch mechanism and bonnet prop is only held on to the bonnet frame by very small screws and they can move. Loctite and a good tightening is one thing and a slight bending backwards of the bracket that the hook is in may help as well. Dont attempt to bend it by holding the catch hook as they are cast and will break. Check the spring pin bracket that is bolted to the apron rear bar where the hook acts on as well for any fouling and last of all and something that often gets missed make sure your bonnet hinges are tight as they do come loose quite often and allow the bonnet to slide forward slightly. A plastic filler (Bondo) spreader is a useful tool to keep in the car as its very stiff and can be inserted into door/bonnet/boot gaps for alignment as well as doubling up as an ice scraper in the winter ;)

Stuart.