Trailing arms

Guest Steve Raine

Guest Steve Raine

Hi,

I am slowly restoring a 1972 TR6 and would like advice on the best method to refurbish the trailing arms.

I have cleaned the arms with an aluminium cleaner and they look pretty good but do I leave them in bare aluminium or coat / paint them with something?

Any advice from the vast experience in this forum would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Guest Neil Russell

give them a very light bead blast if they are really dirty to even out the finish and clean thoroughly. That said, yours sound good enough now? If so i would just etch prime and paint silver.

I would not try to anodise or powder coat if I were you, since I think you will find that the coating will bubble and blow everywhere due to the porous nature of the casting.

many members have tried this at cost.

I would also ensure all of your threads are helicoiled with UNC threads before re-painting. It may even be worth crack testing the casting before you spend any money on it if you are not sure of its history.

regards

neil.

Guest Neil Russell

They are never fine Andy! In my experience they are always marginal on strip down. triumph in their infinite wisdom used a UNF thread in the casting from new. when stripped down invariably the corrosion of the steel in the aluminium casting results in the thread being damaged. as such as a matter of course you should always drill and re-thread with a UNC helicoil. I actually had to re-weld 2 of my holes prior to re-drilling and re-threading.

In a lot of cases trailing arms have often been re-threaded with replacement studs, which will often fit, but the tolerance is always too high which can result in a stud pulling out of the aluminium when a stress is exerted.

Neil.

Fully agree with Niel: These arms will now be at least 25 years old, possibly much more & will have been apart many times. The torque setting for the hub/back plate fixings is very low at 16lbf/ft & you can practically achieve this just by turning a ½” socket extension bar with your hand let alone using a ratchet!

Most people not using a torque wrench will tend to over tighten them with the result that even if they don’t strip the aluminum threads completely, they will be stretched & very, very tired. The Helicoil mod is cheap & will give you piece of mind that the hub wont part company & disappear into the nearest bush on a future fast corner!

Guest Steve Raine

Thanks for the advice guys.

My trailing arms have cleaned up pretty well so may try the clear laquer route.

I have read that the arms should be helicoiled but my studs seemed to be pretty solid, so solid in fact that I was worried that I may damage the arms trying to get the studs out.

I had thought of leaving well alone but probably not a good idea by the sounds of things!

Time to find a good engineering firm in West Yorkshire.

Steve

Guest Neil Russell

2 schools of thought steve. if they have never been apart, and you are sure then you might get away with leaving well alone. but do you have any doubts? I had 3 -4 unscrew on me when I stripped the rear arms down so the decision was made for me.

helicoiling shouldn't cost too much. ensure you fit UNC though and then purchase the correct replacement studs. its a long time since i did it but i think you can use a UNC steel helicoil with a UNF thread to allow the original fitment studs (its 10 years now and the car still isn't finished) 2 Houses, 3 garages, marriage etc etc. :D