I have recently rebuilt the engine on my TR6. Very happy other than for the standard leak that now comes off the front crankshaft oil seal. All was OK for 400 miles but now there is a small leak. I am loathed to go to the fuss of changing the seal even though I have one and I have been told that Winns produce a product that might help.

Can anyone tell me what it is and has anybody used it?

Thanks,

Peter

:o

Peter, if it comes to the cruch and you do have to replace it, it would be worth your while asking for a double lipped seal from a motor factor.   Very often there's a slight marking on the crank, and the double lip will usually do the job.   The factor would need OD ID and width of seal to find a double lipped alternative.
Guest Neil Russell

you can buy a product from winns etc which works on the principle of softening the rubber seal on rubber seals and stemming leaks. it might work for a while , but in my opinion this is just treating a symptom and not addressing the cause. The previous post re a double lipped seal is the one I would go for.

Neil.

I've used such a product ("Lec Wec") twice for waterpump leaks and it worked well. I applied it with a syringe. I think you can do that for the crankshaft leak too : mixing the product with oil and applying it with a syringe between pulley and engine and you can repeat that as necessary till you make the proper repair. There are several brands and you can find these products in most motor shop nowadays.
I think the standard set-up is leak free - at least mine is 60,000 miles after the rebuild. However, the sleeve that sits over the crank and under the seal should be renewed with the seal, and can be defective when new! I had to replace a new one which came with the rebuilt engine as it had a rough patch on it, and leaked profusely. Once this was replaced it never leaked again. :;):