High Beam Relay Help.

Hi Chaps,

Some while ago i did away with the floor mounted high beam switch.

I replaced it with reference to an article in Tr Action, with a relay

so that high beam was on when i pulled back on the headlight switch,

pull it again and high beam off. I lost the flasher facility but was not phased by this.

Problem is i have just put the loom back into the engine bay, all correctly wired ;)

and high beam no work :mellow: . The relay does not activate.

I have looked at my copies of Tr Action and cant find this article,

cant anyone recall which it was in? Or have a copy of it or of

the wiring diagram.

I have had a good look at everything, somethings not right,probably

staring me in the face.

Have a good New Years Eve All.

Cheers

Guy

Chaps

I have found it Tr Action 227 June2008

Thanks

Guy

Hi Guy,

I have designed a unit with a similar function, but it also retains the flasher facility. If the stalk is pulled for less than 0.8 seconds it acts as a flasher. If longer it switches to main beam. pulling the stalk again (for less than 0.8 seconds),will switch back to dip.

It uses some electronics to achieve this, but if it is of interest I can supply the circuit details

TT

Edited by tthomson

Hi Guy,

I have designed a unit with a similar function, but it also retains the flasher facility. If the stalk is pulled for less than 0.8 seconds it acts as a flasher. If longer it switches to main beam. pulling the stalk again (for less than 0.8 seconds),will switch back to dip.

It uses some electronics to achieve this, but if it is of interest I can supply the circuit details

TT

Hi Tony

Happy New Year

I hope you can remember the lighting system on my 5(controversial) that sound's brilliant do I need a different column switch

Hi Guy,

TT

i would be intrested can you send me info please , regards gary ( bograt )

Hi Tony

Happy New Year

I hope you can remember the lighting system on my 5(controversial) that sound's brilliant do I need a different column switch

Hi Neil, Guy, Gary,

I will try to send info out to you today. I have some chores I need to do first.

Tony

Hi Guy,

TT

Tony,

Does your unit use the standard power line for the flasher also for the main beam?

With the normal functionality using that power line for both then only requires one relay for both to offload the lights switch and the main beam is then fused.Is that workable or am I missing something?

I note that the power line for the flasher on my 5 is only shared with the horns. On the 250 and 6 there are additionally interior lights and/or hazard lights.

Stan

Edited by smizgals

Tony,

Does your unit use the standard power line for the flasher also for the main beam?

With the normal functionality using that power line for both then only requires one relay for both to offload the lights switch and the main beam is then fused.Is that workable or am I missing something?

I note that the power line for the flasher on my 5 is only shared with the horns. On the 250 and 6 there are additionally interior lights and/or hazard lights.

Stan

Hi Stan,

My unit slaves off the existing power circuits to suit what you want to do.

You can use one, two, or four relays with or without fuses to control your headlamps and to reduce the current through the lighting switch. I guess it depends what you want to achieve.

I think what you want is to offload the current from the lighting switch by using one relay and that is easily achieved.

My unit uses a further relay as a replacement for the dipswitch.

(Re-reading this makes it sound really complicated, but it's not!)

If you send me your email address, I will send you details.

Regards

Tony