Hi all - advice on wheels please. I have a chance at a set of MGF 15" 6 spoke alloys with 205/50x15 tyres - as I remember from previous threads these should fit straight on to my TR7. Anybody know differently? And what wheel bolts should I use. Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Guest Chris Draper

They will fit the stud pattern - one of the few that does. I think the off-set is slightly different, but I don't think it's enough to matter.  As I've got a 7 and an MGF I did once try the MG wheels on my 7 and they seemed fine (note though that mine are 16"), but probably best to check on your car if you have the chance.

The only thing to worry about on the wheel nuts is whether they're convex at the contact point or flat. By this I mean that the MGF wheels are centred by the use of dished wheel nuts rather than using the wheel centre as on the standard TR7 wheels, so you'll need to get some of those if you don't already have them.

Guest stagmann
Im also running MGF wheels which are held on by nuts from a Montego. One question I do have is tyre size. Im currently running 195/50x15. I find this profile a little low and hard on the bumps. Does anyone know what taller tyre I can use without clearance problems?
Guest linus23

Malcolm,

Did the Triumph wheel centers come with the car as well? I'd be very interested where to get those (if anyone knows...) I have the same wheels to go onto TUR when all the other bits are sorted.

I think it's worth mentioning, to anyone looking for MGF wheels, the set of four cost me all of £15 via Ebay, best bargain yet. Saying that, I sourced the car on Ebay!

Stagmann,

There's a link somewhere in the forum history, to a website that lets you calculate similar tyre sizes for different wheel sizes, I *think* the 15 suits a 190 or 195 with 55, so changing to 190/55 may help. (NB, I'm not on the road at the mo, I'm speaking from dimmed memory). I would try searching the forum for 'wheel'

TIA,

Justin

Lots of people ask me about the wheel centres.  The wheels were new MGF ones supplied by Robsport.  They came with Rover centres (unless you really wanted the MG ones!)

S&S Preparations do the Triumph laurel ones that I have on there now.  The aren't really replacement centres, just durable plastic 'stick-on' ones.  Having said that they look great  :)

Malcolm.

Stagmann

You could try a 195/55x15 - difference in rolling radius over original 185/70x13 is just 1.1% - but I wouldn't think you would notice much difference in ride quality. Have you got uprated suspension? That will have made a bigger difference in the 'oooh me bum' factor than the aspect ration of the tyre, I would have thought.

Mike