Tour of Cheshire

Hard luck Bill Wyatt and Dominic Barron in their TR4, just pipped into 2nd place by ONE second by Adam Wiseberg's orange 911S after an appeal - Bill was originally posted as the provisional winner, he must be gutted. Mind you, the winner's trophy was aptly described by Tony Mason as more like something off Scrapheap Challenge, so maybe second was better because at least he didn't have the problem of finding somewhere to keep the huge pile of nuts and bolts, sorry, trophy!

Adrian Bennett and I won our class (beginners) and there were three other TR4s, plus the ex-Pickering TR3. Andrew and Judith Duck would probably have beaten us in their TR4 but dropped out with a water pump failure - thanks!

cheers

Andy Lane

Guest andywduck

Well done Andy! We were rather upset when the front fell off the pump, I must say! I haven't seen the results yet, myself, however it was impressive that ther were so many TR4s. In fact, Triumphs in general far outweighed any other manufacturer.

Andy & Judy Duck

Summary results now posted at Tour of Cheshire

Rally photos at Tony Large Photographic - follow the "rally" link.

Hard luck Andy and Judith - how far did you get before the water pump let go? It made a change for us to get our problems over with before the event started - overdrive had to be disconnected as it was cutting in under braking, and  we were losing brake fluid from the rear circuit - just needed a union tightening up.

I seem to have made a major error, having a new rear axle built and fitted I neglected to ask for a LSD, and boy did we need it, especially on the very slippery Oulton Park stages. Hindsight is a great thing! It'll have to wait until next winter now as we seem to have a full season ahead of us on the ANWCC championship.

Other TRs were Bill Wyatt (TR4 - 2nd), Mike Harrison (TR4 -13th), Carl Hawkins (TR3 - 21st) - us (28th) - Amanda Dudley (TR4 - 36th) and J Armstrong (TR4 - 49th) - quite a spread!

cheers

Andy Lane

Guest andywduck

Andy

The pump let go half way round the "Gosularity" Castle test - wihch was meant to be at an average speed, but the *@~&£ people behind me thought it was "max speed" and were trying to drive up my exhaust - and me with no water pump! i kept going at avg 30mph, despite flashing of lights, and finished (thinking only fan belt had gone). Then found the pulley sitting on the sump guard!

I enjoyed oulton park witout an LSD, slid all over the place, but thought I managed a decent speed. My Yokos are wearing a bit thin, I think that helped.

Re powder blue TR4, the only "foxy" bit i could keep my attention on was the navigator!! 6 pot what? vents? didnt notice!!

We are on Classic Rally Tours' Honfleur rally next, then 3 Castles in the Summer. Also planning to do Fellsman Tour, in May, which we did last year, and was excellent, really recommend it.

Cheers

Andy