caliper identifiaction

Hi all

I'm trying to identify the brake calipers on my June 1959 TR3A (pre 60000) The calipers are marked with the Girling symbol and "type16". There are 3 variants shown in the Moss catalogue and mine looks closest to the one associated with the TR4. Caan someone help in identification please. Hopefully the photo will help

cheers

Stevepost-5142-125942841064_thumb.jpg

post-5142-125942841064_thumb.jpg

Steve,

I'm no expert but would agree that you have late TR4 calipers on your TR3a. Your pic shows the pads to be held in place with the pins used on later calipers not the bolt/spring plate method used on the earlier 2 styles Triumph used.

And although your picture isn't identical to the "late" TR4 caliper shown in Piggott's Originality Guide, the way your pads are held in place puts you in that catagory. The new Brake Caliper "C" Moss sells in their catalog here in the States may well be what you have.

John

I believe the type 16 were fitted to all early TR4 and some of the later TR4 and 5, and some TR6 as well as early MK2 GT6.

The 16P caliper has a large bellows dust cover without a retaining ring. The cover stands slightly proud of the brake pad when fitted.

'16P' will be cast on the caliper body.

Imperial Threads - 3/8UNF bleed nipple.

The later 16PB caliper has a small compact dust cover with a retaining ring which is just visible at the side of the brake pad.

'16PB' will be cast on the caliper body.

Imperial Threads - 3/8UNF bleed nipple, although the M16P caliper had Metric threads with M10 bleed nipples.

There have been reports of cars with imperial one side and metric the other...

Ivor

Hello Steve,

Strange discoveries 50 years later........

On my 3A (TS61003LO - October 1959)I recently discovered, during overhauling the frontbrakes, that both calipers should be the "B" types (split halves) according to different books and old catalogs. Changing point 7/59 - TS56377, but my 3A is fitted with the "A" type calipers, roughly 4000 cars later!

Conclusion, this might have to do with the re-tooling versus old stocks of parts at TS60001?

So your 3A must have at least the older massive "A" types, hope this helps......

Regards,

Hi again

Don't know what happened there. Again, thanks for your replies.

The markings around the Girling symbol are "K TYPE16" There are no letters after the 16. Also cast in to the lower area is "W6" and "647326047" Does this identify more closely?

Anyway, I guess I would buy the spares shown for the TR4 type in the catalogue

thanks

Steve

Steve,

Again I think the important thing for you to notice in the pictures of your calipers, is that pins are being used to hold the pads in place. (there are holes in the pads for the pins)

The pictures that Raymond included of his calipers, are definately of the A style. Notice the lack of pins in his second pic.

According to Moss, the only calipers of the A, B,and C group that use pins are the C style. These are the latest made of the group. Take a look in the Moss catalog. It also appears that although A and B use the same pads , all three use the same pistons and seal/dustcovers. However style C requires a BRAKE PAD FITTING KIT that the other two don't seem to need. Compare the catalog numbers for the parts of each style.

So I really believe style C is what you have. Best of luck.

John

Hi Steve,

One thing to keep in mind with TR4 type C calipers is that they needed a different mounting bracket to the 3A type, and used 10.75" rotors instead of 11".

So you need all three items if ever you want to convert back to the original brakes.

The Type C calipers were never fitted as standard to a 3A, as they only came in after 4000 odd TR4's were produced.

However, this brake set up was used on the later TCF series TR3B's as standard.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks everyone.

It now seems clear that these calipers were of the type used on TR4's, GT6's and the Vitesse and are Type C in the Moss catalogue.

When they were fitted to my 59 TR3A I don't know. I suspect they were fitted when it was first rebuilt ( rather than restored ) in 1977. It was totally restored by the PO in 1998-2003 and I guess he decided to keep the calipers.

I am always learning something new about these cars

cheers

Steve