Fitting seatbelts to TR3a

I have recently acquired a TR3a,in which I am enjoying fresh air motoring,however some of my passengers have expressed the desire for seat belts so as we dont part company whilst cornering.

The car is fitted with the ornamental back seat,hence leaving me with some indecision as to where to secure the anchor for the inertia reel belt after it goes over your shoulder.Both the drivers and passenger seats sit tight to the back seat.

I am sure there is an obvious solution that I am missing,so before I turn my floor into a colander I would apreciate your suggestions. Thanking you in advance,

Adrian Murdoch

Adrian, about all I can offer is this Service Bulletin from Standard-Triumph showing recommended lap belt mounting points in the TR3a (later flat floor, I think), due to then-pending legislation in some US States in the early 1960s.

Service Bulletin

I'm not sure one can safely and properly install a three-point inertia reel belt in these cars, but I'm sure others will chime in here with their experience!

Adrian I put the anchors where they are on the TR4, I had a post 60K 3A so fitted the reel unit as low as I could to the rear shelf where sometimes a jump seat is fitted and the top of the inner wheel arch for the last unit, strengthened all body mounts with extra plates and it worked a treat.

Adrian, about all I can offer is this Service Bulletin from Standard-Triumph showing recommended lap belt mounting points in the TR3a (later flat floor, I think)...

That's interesting. Obviously an updated version of T-62-5. The note at the bottom clears up my own confusion as to how the templates should be used, but at least it would appear I was not alone.

This link may also be useful: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=20210&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

• 3 weeks later...

Send me a personal email and I'll email you a PDF with 7 pages of fitment instructions.

Titled "Fitting Instructions for the Triumph TR2 and TR3 Safety Harness Kit, Two or Three Point Fixing"

Issued by Standard Triumph Sales Ltd.

Pat