Update on Fraud Case

Hello Europeans Friends,

Thirty minutes ago, I received a phone call from a gentleman with a horrible India accent and a bad phone connection. All I could understand was that he had sent me an email. So, I checked my email, and sho' nuff, he was asking for an additional $80 USD for British Customs to release the wire wheel.

At this stage, I contacted FTC and filed a complaint, just to get this a$$hole on record.

Again, keep your eyes open: Gerald Blas, 19 Angel Street, Worcester, Worcestershire, geraldblas008@yahoo.com

I tried to contact Craigslist, to register this guy with them, but it was THEY who rolled me over to the FTC.

Best wishes.

Addendum: This was shocking to me: The FTC's "How to Spot a Scam" article starts out with DO NOT TRANSFER FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION. Good god, this has been an upstanding American company for 100 years! If only the criminal element uses the company, why not shut it down?

I have used sometimes Western Union, with no problem at all.

I guess that the problem mainly lays in the intentions of the recipient of the money, and the simplicity to reclaim the money, so that supplanting the identity of the recipient is not extremely difficult.

Sometimes, certain companies discourage the use of some other just because they have their own preferences, very often with certain commercial interest, too.

Jesus

1959 TR3A

I was paid, recently, for a car, by a man from Spain, by Western Union. I had no problem getting my money the next day, because, having paid into Western Union, he would have been unable to get his money back if I had defaulted. If you are the one selling the goods, then use Western Union, and get the cash in your hand before releasing the goods. However, if you are the one buying the goods, then do not take the risk by paying for them through Western Union. My advice for what it is worth!

Rod

Anyway, if the recipient of the money wants to cheat you, there is little difference either if you hand him the money one night in the rear of a van, or if you pay with a bank transfer to his/her account. Recovering the money is an improbable result. Been there (you know what I mean, Alec).

Jesus

P.S.

Well, just for avoiding any misunderstanding:

Several years ago, I had a problem with a seller in UK, and Alec very kindly assisted me in the unsuccessful intent of recovering the money.

Edited by jbenajes

Hi Jesus,

paying cash is fine if you are collecting the items - but for large value items I'd also wish to make sure that I was collecting at the seller's home or business premises, not at some other location.

Purchasing at a distance, I'd prefer to use a banking system that gives a clear audit / evidence trail - whether it's bank transfer, cheque, debit card, or credit card. Paypal similarly for smaller amounts.

Western Union or Postal Orders ? No thanks ! They're fine for the seller perhaps, but no protection for the buyer if things go wrong.

Cheers,

Alec