cone air filters

i have a "green" brand cone airfilter on my car.

its been on the car 4 years and its going rusty.

the fine mesh that supports the filter cloth is rusting.

its behind the grill, not in engine bay so it obviously gets wet

question is, how long do other brands last, ie k&n.

richard

i have a "green" brand cone airfilter on my car.

its been on the car 4 years and its going rusty.

the fine mesh that supports the filter cloth is rusting.

its behind the grill, not in engine bay so it obviously gets wet

question is, how long do other brands last, ie k&n.

richard

Well, if it's like K&N they should be oiled every year.

And I'm sure the mesh in a K&N is stainless. I wash the filters on my Landy, and leave them to dry overnight before annual re-oiling, never seen any hint of rust.

Is it in the standard airbox, or stuck out on its own?

Ivor

Well, if it's like K&N they should be oiled every year.

And I'm sure the mesh in a K&N is stainless. I wash the filters on my Landy, and leave them to dry overnight before annual re-oiling, never seen any hint of rust.

Is it in the standard airbox, or stuck out on its own?

Ivor

thanks for reply you must be the only person using k+n.

every one must still be using paper elements.

its stuck out on its own.id have thought itd be stainless, wont be buying another green.

richard

thanks for reply you must be the only person using k+n.

every one must still be using paper elements.

its stuck out on its own.id have thought itd be stainless, wont be buying another green.

richard

It might last better if you found one to fit the standard airbox, because the right-angled air intake means that the heavy water droplets can't make the 90 degree turn, so they fall out of the airflow and the element doesn't get wet. I think the pretty well unrusted interior of the unrestored box illustrates the point.

Mind you, the paper element in the standard TR6 airbox only gets grubby at the two points where the intake pipes enter the box, so if one is inclined towards saving pennies one can turn the element round at least a couple of times to present a fresh surface. Perhaps the mesh filters flow more air... so they say.

Ivor

Newandold.jpg

It might last better if you found one to fit the standard airbox, because the right-angled air intake means that the heavy water droplets can't make the 90 degree turn, so they fall out of the airflow and the element doesn't get wet. I think the pretty well unrusted interior of the unrestored box illustrates the point.

Mind you, the paper element in the standard TR6 airbox only gets grubby at the two points where the intake pipes enter the box, so if one is inclined towards saving pennies one can turn the element round at least a couple of times to present a fresh surface. Perhaps the mesh filters flow more air... so they say.

Ivor

Newandold.jpg

ex usa car so no pi airfilter box. SUs home made airbox fed by pipe to front mounted filter.

need to buy another filter. dont know wether to buy k+n or cheapo flea bay one & bin it when necc.

richard