Brake fluid variants

Hello,

I am working on my 1979 TR7 DHC. I have stripped down the engine bay for a respray. I have also dismantled all the brake-parts, and blown through the pipes with pressurized air. I have bought a new master cylinder and slave cylinder. I have bad experience from my TR6 with a leak in the master cylinder (DOT4, glycol based fluid) that removed some of the paint below (after a complete respray of the car this was very annoying). My question is: Has someone tried the silicone based DOT5 brake fluid? Is it recommended to use DOT5 for a fast road car?

If I choose DOT5, how critical is it to clean all brake parts form the old DOT4 fluid? (The calipers remains to be cleaned.) Any experience will be of interest.

I use DOT 5.1 in my TR7 and TR8.

My Dad uses DOT 5.1 in his TR4.

The calipers should be fine, the seals that tend to swell are those in the master cylinder and slave cylinders and since your renewing those it shouldn't be a problem.

Its advantage is that its less prone to boil and is not as vicious on your paintwork.

Edited by Wayne S

Hi Tore,

if you want to use DOT4 or 5.1 why not re-paint in 2 pack. This is impervious to everything except a nuclear attack and is still available.

Roger

PS why didn't thet call it DOT4.2 or DOT6 - DOT5.1 is too similar to DOT5 there will be mistakes made :huh: