chassis numbers

In short, there is not a number on the chassis. There is the commission number on the printed plate, a body number on an aluminium plate, that is also in the engine compartment, and another number on a steel plate at the bottom of the right hand rear inner wheelarch. I believe this to be a different number to the other two. As far as I know, it is only the comission number that is recorded.

Rod

If the car was originally supplied to some European countries ie France or Germany then the commission number is stamped on the front left hand chassis rail approximately just below the oil filter housing. The stamping is not very good or clear but a wire brush and bit of chalk dust should show it up if it is there. British and American cars do not have this secondary chassis number as it is was only a regulatory requirement in some European countries.

Cheers

Alan

British and American cars do not have this secondary chassis number as it is was only a regulatory requirement in some European countries.

And NSW in Australia because I had to stamp it on to get the car registered after buying it and driving down from Queensland!