Colway Tyre Size ...

My Tr4A is running on wires but I have just bought myself a set of standard TR4/4A steel wheels with the thought of fitting Colway tyres so I could use them when rallying (keeping the wires for everyday use).

But .... can anyone tell me what size(s) I should be looking for and where the best place to buy them is?

Thanks

Robert

Guest mrodbert

Neil Revington recommended and we fitted Colway Road Plus. I can't remember the exact size (I can find out if you like) but he also recommended that we fit oversized tyres, about an inch wider than the rims. That seemed to work really well, except you have to put up with everyone telling you you've got a flat.

On a related topic, I was amazed at the real venom I got from Tyre fitters when I mentioned that I wanted Colways. It ranged from "I will never use remoulds" through "remould users eat babies" and random abuse to 'phones slammed down.

Has anyone else got such a strong (and ridiculous) response.

Totally agree Alec - ive used Colways for years and it takes mega abuse to get a problem - like cornering a mini flat at Inglestone lap after lap and finally causeing the carcass to split ...... but not before many of my competitors (much wealthier) has shot out yoko's, avons and all sorts ....

Worth £50 anyday .... especially when a yoko or a CR6 ZZ is more than twice the price

You here very much **** on Colways - the only way to judge is to talk to people that run them (and hard) ... I bet the tyre fitter in question also couldnt balance a wire spoke wheel either ! another good guide to their capability and therefore how much attention to pay to their 'advice'.

Also worth noting that Colways are not usually available through general tyre factors so they get maligned in order to sell you a 2nd brand tyre for the same price - which of course they have on the shelf guv....

Regards

Tony

If you give me a call Wednesday, we can source Colway near direct, very good prices, however, we can also supply very good new product. Can't help with the size though, we run 195/65 on our wires on 4's, probably 185/65 would be tops on steels.

Rob.

01332 799003

Thanks everyone.

It sounds as though 185 x 15 may close - but I will check this out with Steve Hall @ TR Enterprises.

Next question ..... presumably there are different styles of Colway tyre (tread patterns and composition) to choose from? What is best suited to historic rallying (e.g. Targa Rusticana, East Anglian Rally, etc.) that requires some white road / track work as well as a fair amount of tarmac use?

Cheers

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought some Colway Road Plus tyres for the TR4 after some scary moments on the Tour of Cheshire using fairly worn Emjos (165/15) - they have done 3,000 fairly hard miles (mostly on LEJOG) - the Road Plus tyre to use is the 185/70 x 15, as MSA regs say you can't use an aspect ratio less than 70 profile in historic rallying (and some others) - and besides, it's not really sensible to go any lower as you end up damaging your rims too easily and getting lots of punctures on anything less.

They should be fitted next week, and scrubbed in in time for the Jubilee Rally (Ilkley) on 4/4/04, so I'll let you know how they perform.

If you buy Colway you should buy direct from the motorsport division - just say you're a member of a car club (e.g. HRCR), they don't seem to check. You save about 30% over buying from a shop.

Anyone else entered on the Jubilee? Anyone coming to cheer us on?

cheers

Andy Lane

I have now fitted the Colway Road Plus tyres, but they feel a bit "bouncy" - I must have them at too high a pressure - anyone any idea what I should be running these tyres (185/70 x 15) at? I'm going to try 20F 24R tomorrow.

Whilst they do seem to have made quite a differnce the biggest change has come from the new rear shocks courtesy of TR4Tony (Sheach) - fantastic mate - amazing!! :D

Maybe if we ask nicely he'll tell us all about them - he did tell me what they were but it was all a bit technical - suffice it to say they absolutely transform the rear end, which now remains firmly glued to the road on bumps and undulations that would previously have had it skipping about all over the place. I think Ade will be happy to confirm this as he was out for a quick blast with me this afternoon.

so ... tyre pressures, anyone any ideas?

cheers

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on the tyre size - minimum 70 profile for historics, so if they're 185/70x15 you're ok.

Rally plus is a gravel tyre UIAVMM - more for stage rallying.

EMJOs are much favoured as an all round tyre (we used these on LEJOG and they did the job very well in the icy conditions), and Road Plus (that I have just fitted) more suited to tarmac events - pity, as we're off to Brecon with the prospect of several forest sections this weekend on the Welsh Retro - now shortened to the night section only, mostly over Epynt as I understand it. Still not too late for marshalls if you turn up at Brecon Saturday early evening you're sure of a friendly welcome.

cheers

Andy Lane