rusty spots on sidescreen cars

Hi, everyone knows about the plenum drainage tubes on later TRs and modding them with longer hoses to drain away from the sill. Also the issue of properly protecting the joins between wings and tub.

I was wondering what the equivalents are on sidescreen cars? For example on the Register website buyer's guide it mentions the drainage hole at the corner of the front scuttle/bulkhead. If I was looking at a restored sidescreen car what would I be hoping to see that the restorer had done to combat the known rust spots?

thanks

Andy

Hi, everyone knows about the plenum drainage tubes on later TRs and modding them with longer hoses to drain away from the sill. Also the issue of properly protecting the joins between wings and tub.

I was wondering what the equivalents are on sidescreen cars? For example on the Register website buyer's guide it mentions the drainage hole at the corner of the front scuttle/bulkhead. If I was looking at a restored sidescreen car what would I be hoping to see that the restorer had done to combat the known rust spots?

thanks

Andy

Unfortunately the proper mod of fitting a drain box inside the inner wing to drain from that area would only be visible (if fitted at all) by a drain tube out from the splash panel similar to the later cars plenum drain mod, but unless you could remove the plash panel you couldnt tell if it had been executed properly as its a complicated setup to get right. On a sidescreen car most of the problem areas are on view from one side or another so are easier to assess. Bottoms of front wings and bottom of "A" posts. Behind the front body mount in the front wheel arch. Bottoms of rear quarters below the "B" posts and right across the rear lower half of the back panel and its associated closing panels underneath and forward each side. Front of boot floor under the fuel tank and each side of boot floor around the rear arches. Inside the spare wheel well each side at the rear just behind the bracket that receives the cover locks. Edge sides of bootlid apertures are also a known weak area and rearwards were the drain tubes are. Bootlid corners were the reinforcing frame meets is another area that is hard to repair properly.

I like to see an underneath nicely stonechipped and then painted the same as the top (but then Im picky ;) ask Marko!)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart