I ordered a starter shim (Moss part 549-430) only to discover that the center hole is about 1/2" larger than I need for my '57 A. Moss seems to be under the impression that one size fits all. The Victoria British catalog lists a starter shim for '59 to '67 TR's only and TRF has nothing.

Anyone know of a source?

Bob Brennan

S. Freeport, ME

I ordered a starter shim (Moss part 549-430) only to discover that the center hole is about 1/2" larger than I need for my '57 A. Moss seems to be under the impression that one size fits all. The Victoria British catalog lists a starter shim for '59 to '67 TR's only and TRF has nothing.

Anyone know of a source?

Bob Brennan

S. Freeport, ME

Bob,

I have some that were fitted to TR4 and TR4A's and I see in the UK Moss catalogue they only list shims - part number 102014 - for these later cars.

I will dig some out and measure the centre hole.

What diameter hole do you need?

Regards, Richard ;)

Bob,

Shims now found :

The main centre hole is 3.1/2" in diameter

The centres of the bolt fixing holes is 5"

Regards, Richard ;)

Thanks for the info Richard. I contacted Moss (US) and "William" cross-referenced the Moss (UK) shim # 102014 to the larger diameter 549-430 US catalog #. "It is what it is", he ordained. Big help.

The shim size needed, indeed, has a 3 1/2" diameter center with bolt holes 5" on center.

Can you part with one?

Thanks,

Bob Brennan

Thanks for the info Richard. I contacted Moss (US) and "William" cross-referenced the Moss (UK) shim # 102014 to the larger diameter 549-430 US catalog #. "It is what it is", he ordained. Big help.

The shim size needed, indeed, has a 3 1/2" diameter center with bolt holes 5" on center.

Can you part with one?

Thanks,

Bob Brennan

Bob,

No problem,

Drop me details of your address in a P.M. and I will pop one in the post.

Regards, Richard ;)

Bob,

No problem,

Drop me details of your address in a P.M. and I will pop one in the post.

Regards, Richard ;)

Many thanks. I sent my address, but did not include my email:

mgtc7794@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Richard, I received your shim in yesterday's mail. It was a perfect fit and fixed the problem. This is the third time I've removed the starter and that top bolt is always a figpucker! Could be worse, however, at least I don't have a steering column in the way.

Thank you again for your generous help.

Bob Brennan

So. Freeport, ME

Thanks Richard, I received your shim in yesterday's mail. It was a perfect fit and fixed the problem. This is the third time I've removed the starter and that top bolt is always a figpucker! Could be worse, however, at least I don't have a steering column in the way.

Thank you again for your generous help.

Bob Brennan

So. Freeport, ME

Bob,

Pleased it arrived OK, plus most of all the problem is solved.

Now that did take a long time to arrive - 24th to the 7th, I did think AirMail would be quicker?

Regards, Richard ;)