Bosch pump conversion ...fan?

... 12v computer fans.

When these fans start, do they create a spark? or whats the possibility of one? <_<

With modern fuels there will always be some smell of fuel within the boot, some more than others,

so therefore petrol vapours permating rubber tubing, or bad joints etc

Petrol vapours plus spark = Big bang :blink::blink:

I'm sure they're all right. After all, they're designed to live under desks. And we all know what would happen if you set light to a fart :P

Ivor

Gents,

Been thinking about the clever use of 12v computer fans.

When these fans start, do they create a spark? or whats the possibility of one? <_<

With modern fuels there will always be some smell of fuel within the boot, some more than others,

so therefore petrol vapours permating rubber tubing, or bad joints etc

Petrol vapours plus spark = Big bang :blink::blink:

Or am i being overly cautious.

Regards

Guy

Guy,

You'd better disconnect your boot light in that case... if you catch my drift ;)

You should be fine with a fan BTW.

Usual disclaimers apply though ;)

Edited by trfella
Guy,

You'd better disconnect your boot light in that case... if you catch my drift ;)

Usual disclaimers apply though ;)

Hi ya John,

Good point about boot light.

I have smashed apart a computer fan and it full of circuitary and a circular magnet,

so it seems Jean Ivor and yourself are correct that there should be no spark. :rolleyes:

Anyway i dont have a problem with fumes or cooling the pump,

i thought Brett had raised an interesting point. :rolleyes:

It would be easy enough to wire up and duct, but you would need to consider the most effective way of doing it.

By that i mean cool air from outside and not just recirculating warm air from the boot. Plus warm air needs to be able

to be pushed out or escape.

Waterproofing is also an issue , if you consider Malvern 2007, i was there, big puddles,

hopefully a one off.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy

If you look into boat engine fans they are designed to extract fumes from the engine bay ie spark free 12 volt also, 75mm and 100mm available and not expensive. They could be used to blow as well.

Regards

Neil

Edited by ntc
Hi Guy

If you look into boat engine fans they are designed to extract fumes from the engine bay ie spark free 12 volt also, 75mm and 100mm available and not expensive. They could be used to blow as well.

Regards

Neil

Helloo Sailor

Hope you an excellent time.

I had a look at bilge fans etc and there is extensive info on explosions on boats

through vapours, does need the correct fuel to air ratio etc, which am sure

you are aware.

Good to have you back.

Guy