PHOENIX Large bore cross box

Just got my hands on one of these today - hope to hang it for a concours Sunday.

It came with a stainless belt clamp welded to a flat bracket with (2) 1/2" holes ~ 5" apart. I surmise it's for hanging on the bottom of the boot floor, which I will avoid at all cost ( don't want to drill holes in pristine sheet metal where not absolutely necessary ). The rear has provision for the original mounting.

How have you that use this box mounted them, the right front in particular? :huh:

Hi Tom,

It may not be the same design as I have BUT if its a cross box al la original AND a single BIG bore input then the bits supplied to you sound similar. However, I could find no homes for them.

I fixed the gearbox mount with a home made clamp and a large rubber whatsit like the PI fuel pump mount,

At the rear it needs support about adajacent to the drive shaft and I built a bracket to support from another rubber whatsit, that hangs from one of the diff mount bolts. Like many other after market parts these things only fit where they touch. I ll snd piicys if you need them but have to wait a day or two....

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks, Ian. It seems we have the same box. I too found the RR diff rubber bushing bolt makes a nice anchor point. Was able to recycle a bit from a prior installation so no fabrication needed at all ;)

No need to trouble yourself sending pics.

Regards,

Tom

Just got my hands on one of these today - hope to hang it for a concours Sunday.

It came with a stainless belt clamp welded to a flat bracket with (2) 1/2" holes ~ 5" apart. I surmise it's for hanging on the bottom of the boot floor, which I will avoid at all cost ( don't want to drill holes in pristine sheet metal where not absolutely necessary ). The rear has provision for the original mounting.

How have you that use this box mounted them, the right front in particular? :huh:

I have one too, however not installed yet. I thought this bracket bolts to the original bracket to which originally, on a 5, the two exhaust pipes are attached with a clamps?

Edited by Stan Mizgalski

Hi Stan,

That may well be true, however, during my rebuild the original hole in the back of the rear footwell seems to have got welded up , (probably because I could not identify a use for it at the time). When fitting the cross box I wondered about the use of said hole but with the body on there was no chance of redrilling the location hole . (TR250's may never have had this mount I dont know).

Even so the Phoenix unit does not appear to lie even close to where i think that mounting used to be. Be interested to see what you come up with.

Cheers

TR250s have a drilling in the diff support ( inverted U-channel ) which accepts a bolted rubber strap fastening to the exhaust clamp on the front of the muffler. Boxing in this channel eliminates that faciilty.

I ground off the flat strap on the provided clamp and bolted through what remained, using a C-shaped bracket to reach the RR diff mount stud. You could fashion the C-bracket from the flat strap - holes are provided ;) Can't think of a better way. I still think the provided clamp assy is designed to bolt through the boot floor :o

• 4 weeks later...

This cross box is universal to the TR5/250, and TR6?

I take it the intermediate pipes are the same as the large single bore version?

Anyone got a piccy of one fitted to their car, and can you confirm that it is slightly quieter than the single bore version?

Thanks in advance.

This cross box is universal to the TR5/250, and TR6?

Thanks in advance.

I was going to ask the same question.. :) Does the TR6 have this mounting hole too?. You can see the hole quite clearly in this Pic.

Chassis cross channel

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Stan,

That may well be true, however, during my rebuild the original hole in the back of the rear footwell seems to have got welded up , (probably because I could not identify a use for it at the time). When fitting the cross box I wondered about the use of said hole but with the body on there was no chance of redrilling the location hole . (TR250's may never have had this mount I dont know).

Even so the Phoenix unit does not appear to lie even close to where i think that mounting used to be. Be interested to see what you come up with.

Cheers

Ian,

Finally fitted it, to the existing mountings at the rear with the bracket provided. I also installed the support bracket from a 250 on the gearbox mount and attached the middle section with a clamp to that a la 250 single pipe.

Concerning rear alignment, have you got the middle section the right way round, the end with the slits on the front on mine. When I first put it in the other way it was way out of line on the rear.

Stan