Windscreen frame repair

Hi Folks,

I've replaced all the rotten metal in the lower lefthand corner of a windscreen frame.

What I need to know is - is it essential to braze the stanchion (steel tube) to the new metal as per the original design.

I know what I want to do but am having trouble doing it.

Roger

Hi Folks,

I've replaced all the rotten metal in the lower lefthand corner of a windscreen frame.

What I need to know is - is it essential to braze the stanchion (steel tube) to the new metal as per the original design.

I know what I want to do but am having trouble doing it.

Roger

Brazing will flow in to the repair area easier than trying to get in to the tight area with a MIG welder or similar and as that area is virtually impossible to get a grinder in to smooth out it makes the repair a bit neater to facilitate the rubber sitting better.. Braze being softer will allow a bit more "give" than welding. Triumph always used braze in all the corner joints of most panels.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I tried a garage yesterday and I could tell by the glazed look on the mans face he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

So today off I went to a blacksmith - no problem. We shall see!!!

Roger