Hood cantrail seals and velcro - photos please

Car came without the cantrail seals and velcro on the hood frame and I now want to fit these. Just a bit unclear on how the velcro strips work on the frame. There's a photo on Buckeye soft top installation - http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/T.../TR6SoftTop.htm - looks like the velcro is stuck to the bottom and side of the cantrail channel, the seal carrier channel then fixed to the cantrail over the velcro. My understanding correct?

So if anyone has a photo of this to clarify, that would be great.

Also what's the best adhesive to use?

Jules

Car came without the cantrail seals and velcro on the hood frame and I now want to fit these. Just a bit unclear on how the velcro strips work on the frame. There's a photo on Buckeye soft top installation - http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/T.../TR6SoftTop.htm - looks like the velcro is stuck to the bottom and side of the cantrail channel, the seal carrier channel then fixed to the cantrail over the velcro. My understanding correct?

Also what's the best adhesive to use?

Yes, you got it. And then the velcro, or at least the fabric to which the velcro is attached, wraps up around the outer face of the rail and onto the top. I'll post a photo this evening.

The paint needs to be well attached and cured. The pull on the velcro is quite strong, don't want the paint coming off.

Glue:

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1263-heat-...t-adhesive.aspx

The rubber seals, ah this is another Triumph design masterpiece, the carrier channel can be slid back and forth a bit to align it, and in and out a bit, but the fixings can't be tightened with the seals in, and the alignment can't be found with the seals out, so.... the best solution I found was to use one of those serrated bitey washers under the screw head, then when you tighten the nut at least some of them actually tighten.

Seal... the rearmost seal, there was some problem with it fouling the hood frame when the hood was lowered, check this. For this reason, I cut the seal short so that it stops aft of the window. The problem may be peculiar to my car as peculiar things seem to have happened to the hood frame. <_<

Also, take great care when cutting the front seal onto the screen top capping, getting a good fit here needs some patience, nibble nibble with electrician's side cutters. When the hood is locked down the predominant pressure must be on the main front seal, and if the cantrail seal is cut too fat it may prevent the hood front rail from squashing the main seal. On the other hand, if there is a gap between the cantrail seal and the capping right at the front end, when you get up to 70+mph the water whips around the edge of the screen pillar and... you get wet. :P

Ivor

In the first pic looking from below/to the side, you see the edge of the velcro, with the fabric as you say wrapped under the cant seal frame.

In the second pic, from above, you see how the fabric wraps around into the top/front of the cant rail to provide a good anchorage for the velcro, and the four dome nuts securing the seal frame.

It's a bit fiddly getting the velcro to sit straight, while you're sticking one face another tends to wander, and the velcro needs to end up straight across the outside. Easier if you stick it in three separate operations letting each dry off, the velcro face: the underneath: then the top wraparound.

You can see that my hood frame is almost entirely bolted; I had to cut most of the rivets to straighten the various bends where an elephant or something had leant on it. <_<

Ivor

Velcroforforum-1.jpg

Velcroforforum.jpg

Edited by 88V8
  • 6 years later...

I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to say thanks to Ivor for the hints on the serrated washers and the order for sticking the velcro - made my job a lot easier.

Also, I wanted to add another hint - use a small amount of silicon grease to get the seals into the rails - made the world of difference.

Thanks

Steve