refusing starter motor

Hi all,

I was planning to get my TR3 started after rebuilding the complete block. Before stripping her, I was able to start her with the origional starter. Now as I start, it does not engage the flywheel, and it revs quite slowly.

I did try to have the battery leads directly to the starter motor, to rule out any grounding problems, but no success.

Furter I cleaned the brushes and the rotor, and had it running outside the car, but speed and "acceleration" ust don't seem to be sufficient. I have mounted a spacer, to get it to engage anyways, but when it does, the motor just does not have the power to turn the engine over.

I can turn over the engine by means of a wrench, so it is not that the crank is stuck

What would be the best way to go about his ?

Frank

Assuming all connections are clean and tight, including solenoid and earth straps, I'd bet on the battery (it nearly always is - see similar threads). Another possibility is the ignition switch/starter button.

Edited by BrianC

If you look closely at the commutator, does it look as though the copper segments have carried over the insulation between them? That could short adjacent segments, reducing motor power but still drawing a lot of current.

From memory, the insulation should not be undercut but flush with the copper.