Guest Wayne S

Hi Tom,

There are many differences between the Saab engines and the TR7 slant 4. The heads are completely different for a start and the block is not the same entirely as it had to cater for the FRONT wheel drive Saab. It was more the case that the baisc design was used under license I think.

I've not heard of anyone fitting a Saab Turbo succesfully, but its a questions that is asked many times. However Janspeed once did a Turbo conversion for the slant 4, but its as rare as hens teeth and I'm told only 1 is known to remain in existence:

0bcc_3.jpg

Edited by Wayne S

Hi Tom,

Wayne's comments sum up the situation pretty well.

As you may be aware, I had a little to do with the ADA/Janspeed TR8 almost 30 years ago, and again more recently. One of Janspeeds many turbocharging development lines back then was the TR7 slant 4 . . . . it wasn't particularly successful. And I very much doubt that a forced induction Triumph slant 4 can be made to work well.

Saab engines stemmed from the same rootstock, but rapidly diverged, and were fwd installations with no rwd equivalents.

For all practical purposes, none of the various Saab turbocharging systems will bolt onto the Triumph engine.

If you really want to drop a serious turbo lump into a Wedge, the simpler answer is the Rover T-series from the 1990s fwd Rover range - which can be made to fit without too much drama, using standard components from other rwd models (SD1 2000 bellhousing, Disco inlet manifold etc etc). 200bhp as standard, which can be pushed to 300 without too much fuss, and 400 for serious competition.

Cheers,

Alec