Clutch mechanism

Hi all,

I have just removed my gearbox as was suffering a heavy clutch and a noisy release bearing. The fork pin had sheared and the cross shaft is badly worn in way of the bearing bushes, all in all not very pretty.The clutch looks good with minimal wear and was operating well apart from the heaviness.

I presume to get the fork and cross shaft out the only way is to cut out the old cross shaft??, I am also considering a uprated bronze release bearing carrier.

Can anybody recommend where to get a hardened pin and good quality cross shaft and perhaps fork, do most suppliers stock hardened pins now??

Thanks

Chris

Hi all,

I have just removed my gearbox as was suffering a heavy clutch and a noisy release bearing. The fork pin had sheared and the cross shaft is badly worn in way of the bearing bushes, all in all not very pretty.The clutch looks good with minimal wear and was operating well apart from the heaviness.

I presume to get the fork and cross shaft out the only way is to cut out the old cross shaft??, I am also considering a uprated bronze release bearing carrier.

Can anybody recommend where to get a hardened pin and good quality cross shaft and perhaps fork, do most suppliers stock hardened pins now??

Thanks

Chris

TR Shop 0208 9956621 have all the bits including hardened pins. If the fork is jammed solid on the cross shaft then cutting it will be the quickest as you will need a new shaft anyway with the wear on it.

Stuart.

The shaft is scrap anyway, I just cut it if half to get it out. When fitting the new shaft, replace the DU shaft bushes within the gearbox housing & it’s a good idea to fit 2 in the actuator side as there is enough room. Get the uprated taper pin & make sure it a nice neat fit within the tapered shaft hole & that the head doesn’t bind on the fork before it’s fully home. You may also consider cross drilling & roll pinning the fork & shaft after your fitted it, this is a common mod. I think my parts came from Moss but it was some years ago; most of the suppliers have their eye on this problem now so any of the suppliers should be OK but I’m sure others will advise.

The shaft is scrap anyway, I just cut it if half to get it out. When fitting the new shaft, replace the DU shaft bushes within the gearbox housing & it’s a good idea to fit 2 in the actuator side as there is enough room. Get the uprated taper pin & make sure it a nice neat fit within the tapered shaft hole & that the head doesn’t bind on the fork before it’s fully home. You may also consider cross drilling & roll pinning the fork & shaft after your fitted it, this is a common mod. I think my parts came from Moss but it was some years ago; most of the suppliers have their eye on this problem now so any of the suppliers should be OK but I’m sure others will advise.

Thanks for the info, have cut all the bits out now, can rescue the fork but have ordered all other new parts. Hopefully in for some smoother driving after fitting.

Thanks again

Chris

Thanks for the info, have cut all the bits out now, can rescue the fork but have ordered all other new parts. Hopefully in for some smoother driving after fitting.

Thanks again

Chris

Hi Chris

This pic may help you with the modifcation

Cheers

Neil

Hi Chris,

did you order the TR Shop modified fork with the taper hole from the cross shaft continued into the fork. This puts the pin into double shear and will not

fail.

Roger

Hi Chris,

did you order the TR Shop modified fork with the taper hole from the cross shaft continued into the fork. This puts the pin into double shear and will not

fail.

Roger

Hi Roger,

No I ordered bits from Moss as I had a lot of stuff to order from them, whoops :o , I will go for the modification as shown in the photo, thanks very much for the photo Neil. Hopefully whatever I do will be a big improvement on the mess I was faced with. Just want to get the car ready for my first summer of TRing. I am sure I will revisit a lot of this territory in the future

Thanks to everybody for their input

I will be joining the register soon, everytime I have a bit of spare cash to join I find more problems, such is life!!

Chris