Fuel Metering Unit

My TR6 has been off the road for 11 years. Last year I fitted a new Revington fuel pump and filter, put in some new fuel and it spluttered a few times but would not start up. I have now started looking at it again and , apart from no spark, have found that no.3 injector is damaged and only no.5 injector is looking vaguely wet. I know that fuel is getting to the metering unit but fear it may be blocked by old fuel. Any ideas on how to proceed would be a great help.

Charles,

The whole fuel pathway will have dried out. Many PI sets will drain down after a day or so and need some churning to get them filled up again.

Start with a well charged battery, the sparking plugs removed and the ignition system disconnected.

Don't omit this - you need the engine turning easily and there will be some petrol flying about!

Remove the injectors from the throttle bodies and place them all in a large tincan.

I like to use a catering coffee can, but others just use a jam jar.

Make sure the fuel pump is working.

Turn the engine over on the starter. Do it in bursts of about five turns, with a pause between, to spare the battery.

Watch the injectors. You will see first one, then another, then eventually all six, spraying away.

Inspect the spray pattern - should be a full cone.

If one refuses to spray, try pulling on the end pin with your fingernails (if there is a pin - not all injectors have them).

This may release it, and get it working.

Any that still won't spray, feel the injector line while the engine turns - does it throb? (Compare with an injector that you know is working.)

No 'throb', means that the M/u is faulty.

A 'throb' means the injector itself is faulty.

Replace as indicated. You may have to refill the fuel system again if that takes some time.

Now, you can replace the plugs and injectors in the engine, re-connect the ignition and go for a start!

Of course, if there is no spark, as you say, you need to follow another diagnostic and repair pathway.

Good luck!

John