Advise on floors please

Prepping for installing MX5 seats and have naked floor. On it just in front of the 4 rear chassis mount bolts is a triangular indentation with 3 holes. Clearly a bracket is meant to bolt on those,So far as I can see from body drawings it's a sill support, I have a PO invoice for sill work. Mine have been tack welded to floor and and have vent holes in the top.

Questions:

1) Does absence of sill support matter? what does it do?

So far as I can see replacement panels in that area are actually from later models or pattern parts. Perhaps things have changed?

2) On re-trimming , any suggestions on what to put back under carpets?

The PO had used domestic foam underlay which caused rusting

I see nothing special mentioned anywhere so while busy wire brushing I wondered about

- Nothing.

- bubble wrap or metallised polystyrene foam (the type that goes behind domestic radiators) These would give some sound deadening but not absorb moisture.

- and composed this post !

Mike

Hi Mike,

the floor attachement with the three bolt holes stiffens the floor for the B post to react against. The floor sill chassis all come together there (I think - I'm trying to remember from when I was last under the car) so it needs to be attached whether by bolts or weld. I'm sure somebody will have the definative answer.

The underlay is your preference. A fiberous sound deadening material is supplied by some of the better suppliers. A more rubbery compound has been mentioned recently to keep water at bay etc etc.

The problem with carpets and underlay is that if/when they get wet they may promote corrosion. However they do keep the noise down. Thus the first thing you need to do is ensure that the floor is well rust proofed. Secondly remove the carpets each year and allow them to dry/air and at the same time ensure that the floor protection is still functioning.

Roger

Mike, you are correct, the floor panels being sold nowadays are for the TR6 and they use these 3 holes, the TR4 doesn't - just stick grommets in them. The replacement, inner, sills have "vent" holes along the top, I can not remember whether the originals did or not. These sills were spot welded to the floor originally. As long as they have been welded strongly, then tack welds will be OK even though they might not look as neat.

Edited by Rhodri