Traces of new gear box oil at drainage hole

I have recently renewed the front and rear oil seals to the gearbox.

After reinstalling the box, I have noticed a trickle of fresh gear box oil appearing at the bottom drainage hole of the clutch bell housing.

A new gasket was also fitted when replacing the input shaft oil seal. .

Does any one know if there is an overflow hole within this location?

I noticed that there was a slot cut out of the gasket which married up with a cut slot on the cast cover.

Could oil be making it's way through here, as i noticed there is a trace of copper-eaze in the oil where I have covered the splines of the end shaft.

The oil is not pouring out by any stretch of the imagination, just small gathering of oil on the underside of the drainage hole over the few days since re-installation.

The interior is out of the car, :o but i really don't want to take the gear box off again.

John

I have recently renewed the front and rear oil seals to the gearbox.

After reinstalling the box, I have noticed a trickle of fresh gear box oil appearing at the bottom drainage hole of the clutch bell housing.

A new gasket was also fitted when replacing the input shaft oil seal. .

Does any one know if there is an overflow hole within this location?

I noticed that there was a slot cut out of the gasket which married up with a cut slot on the cast cover.

Could oil be making it's way through here, as i noticed there is a trace of copper-eaze in the oil where I have covered the splines of the end shaft.

The oil is not pouring out by any stretch of the imagination, just small gathering of oil on the underside of the drainage hole over the few days since re-installation.

The interior is out of the car, :o but i really don't want to take the gear box off again.

John

Hi John

Did you replace this little gasket shown here item 17 as sometimes the plate in front is not flat and always weeps oil

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/tr6/images/44a.gif

Regards

Neil

Hi John

Did you replace this little gasket shown here item 17 as sometimes the plate in front is not flat and always weeps oil

I must admit, I have not changed that gasket. I never even noticed it.

John

Hi John

I hope you won't blame me for taking the box out again but I have seen this gasket missing on more than one occasion

Neil

Hi Guys

I may be a long way off track. Are we sure that the oil is not tracking down from the rear oil seal? I had a simlar experience on my Stag. It turned out that there was a very slight wear on the output shaft exactly where the seal made contact. Observable with a magnifying glass. Not pressing the seal fully in solved the problem. Effectively the seal was contacting the ouput shaft in a different place on new metal.

Tony R