Genuine TR8

Assuming that the vendor means TCN/UCF 150009 this is correct for a 1978 US spec TR8 coupe.  It appears to be in Warwick too, which is 10 miles up the road from me.  I'll see if I can persuade him to let me have a look  :cool:

Well spotted Jonlar.

Malcolm.

Guys,

I emailed for photos and was told it wasn't possible which has to raise questions - anyway TCN is correct for a factory FHC - see below.

TR8 FHC - prefix (TCN)

Chassis

1: Assembly:                T = Canley

2: Model range:             C = TR7/8

3: Specification:            N = TR8 FHC

4: Number:                   012345 etc = number in series

5: Suffix:                      U = North American

6: Suffix:                      F = 5 speed gearbox

7: Suffix:                      A = Automatic gearbox

8: Suffix                       L = the other left-hand drive cars

9: Suffix:                      C = exhaust control is fitted

10:Suffix:                     M = Canadian specification

TCN 150001 to 150198 (78 model year)

TCN 160001 to 160142 (79 model year)

Richard

Cheers Richard.  I had assumed the seller meant 'TCN'.

I've got the phone number for the owner now and plan to go see the car over the weekend.  What do we think about the modifications that are mentioned.  Are these likely to have been carried out at Abingdon, or more likely later in the car's life?

I'll share my pictures and any information that I find.  Perhaps if the car is really 'Showroom condition' I may even be tempted to buy it  :cool: The price looks a little on the high side though?

Malcolm.

Malcolm,the engine has been changed from a 12e to a 3.9,I would not have thought the factory would have done this as thy had more experience of tuning the 3.5.The factory did not usually fit Holley carbs either so I think it has been modified later,see if the minilites are 13 inch as anything larger were only rarely fitted and make sure they are real magnesium alloys and not copies.The car could be the real thing but make sure the right to left hand drive conversion is done properly and the all important power rack has been fitted.It is fairly priced if it is in showroom condition and the

Car is authentic ,after all I paid more FOR my "replica" TR8 FHC than the asking price for this one.See if there is any history with the car as only a few were brought back to this country and even fewer have spent their entire life here,there was one such car built for the managing director of the British school of motoring as a gesture from BL because of the large numbers of metros bought for driving school cars.My opinion is that the TR8 FHC is a wonderful car to drive far superior to the DHC it does not suffer from scuttle shake and the stiffer shell gives it better handling.If you dont buy the car you are welcome to test drive mine anytime.

I'm going to see the car on Monday and take some pictures.  History sounds very interesting.  6 months at Abingdon, 2 years in Scandanavia.  Then returned to Abindgon where it was dismantled and sold in pieces (the owner thinks to avoid tax payable if sold as a complete car).  Then re-assembled and registered, 3 years after build date.  Since then has always lived in the Coventry area, last 10 years with the current owner.  Unfortunately he has been too unwell to drive it for most of that time.  Apparently looks completely standard from the outside - save for the magnesium alloys.  Has aircon & PAS.  Should be interesting.

Malcolm.

Seen it now.  Whilst "showroom condition" is probably exaggerating a little the car appears to be in very good rust free condition.  With a good clean up and minor cosmetic work I can see it next to Chris' in the concours hall  :)

Follow the link for a few pictures.  They aren't great as the car was under a garage canopy and it is a little dim.  I've also attached notes from the viewing and discussion with the owner.  TR8 info page

I'd be particularly interested in comments from certain TR8 experts (come on chaps, you know who you are)  :blues:

Malcolm.

(p.s. When I saw the car it immediately looked "wrong".  It look mw a couple of minutes to think why.  Where are the US spec bumpers?!)

Malcolm, do we know what has happened to the proper engine and why wasnt it put in the car or if it was why was it changed to a 3.9.I agree it would look next to mine in the concours but it would be in the non standard class. For next year I am preparing my 4000 mile 1981 TR8 DHC efi, not sure whether to have it repainted or not.
Guest trminator

Built in Canley, Canley Boot and lock, Solihull badge on front panel, wrong engine, non standard seats and door cards.  How much of this car is still TCN 150009 UCF ?  I certainly wouldn't pay TR8 money for her, nice and all as she looks.  Too checkered a history.

-Kyle

B.T.W., did you see how many weights there are on the wheel in the enlarged shot?  Someone has had fun balancing those wheels.

This is about where I am with the car too.  All Kyle has said, plus the car's condition is disappointing (not "showroom").  The owner has no paperwork to back up his claims apart from the heritage cerificate.  Also a little email conversation with Alec (thanks Alec) casts further doubt.

I'll be giving this one a miss.  What I was after was a nice original car with an interesting history (documented).

Malcolm.

It was listed on ebay for £6k, but the owner saw this as a starting price and thinks it is worth rather more.  He says he was shown a valuation of £9.5k when he bought it almost 10 years ago.  It is now in the hands of a garage (sure I mentioned their name in an earlier post) to sell for him has he has put a '6 in his garage.  As I said before I was disappointed in the originality/condition/history but perhaps I expected too much from a 25 year old car  :(

Malcolm.

Malcolm,

What was the story behind the trim as it looks close to a TR7 Spider stripe pattern less for the fact that Spider 7's had a silver grey velour on the edges of the seat squab where this one has black plastic - factory? or was it another one of what appears to be many post factory improvements?

Seem to be too many bits non factory with no history for me, which boils down to the car being a modified USA TR8 FHC in which case it's value is circa 5.5k to 6k tops!

Richard

No story regarding the trim, though I did wonder whether you had seen it before.  The owner has little history and no idea why the trim & engine are as they appear.  The reason I've lost interest is that I'd hoped it would be close to original.  To be entirely honest if I wanted a non-standard car like this I'd buy a TR7v8 converted FHC.  Not ready to take this one on as a project.

Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...
I think this car was Per Eklund or Simo Lampinens practice car for the overseas rallys,partly because the Scandinavian drivers would only drive LHD,therefore it would have non standard seats with the full harnesses.When returned to the factory these cars were often stripped to raise cash as Leyland were losing money.Many TR8 FHC s and even 2 Lynxs were dismantled but the TR8 shells were often sold usually to employees of Leyland who sometimes built them up ,obviously by then the original engines were gone so replacements were fitted.There will be a history of this car but who has it.If the owner wants £9000 it is much more expensive than my TR8 FHC which is in very good condition.
  • 2 years later...

Hello John and Jim. This was some time ago and I know the car has changed hands since, but unfortunately I have lost track of it :( . I can re-post the handfull of pictures I took at the time though. A missed opportunity? No, I stand by my original comments about the condition and modifications....

I have re-posted the pictures HERE.

Malcolm.