IRS half shaft and hub removal....again!

OK, according to the technicalities CDrom, all I have to do is undo the four nuts on the drive flange to disconnect from the diff and then the six nuts holding the hub into the swinging arm before pulling the whole thing out for inspection.

Wrong! Nothing moves. Am I missing something...help!

How much lateral play should there be on the sliding joint? Mine slides nicely but appears very dry and loose.

All advice welcomed

Simon

Edited by lord65
OK, according to the technicalities CDrom, all I have to do is undo the four nuts on the drive flange to disconnect from the diff and then the six nuts holding the hub into the swinging arm before pulling the whole thing out for inspection.

How much lateral play should there be on the sliding joint? Mine slides nicely but appears very dry and loose.

Ah, theory and practice...

Take a look

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....ic=14587&hl=

The TR6 forum is a good place to look for items common to the 4 & 6, more activity doncha know.

There should be no perceptible lateral play, they shouldn't be dry.

If the splines are shot, there's no way of repair, but TR Shop and others have new ones, thank goodness.

Ivor

All advice welcomed

Simon

Simon,

a little persuasion in the right place with a rubber mallet will break the seal of the flanges, and then maybe a thin pry bar to lever off the hub, you can leave the brake back plate with everything still attached on the trailing arm. Don't be too aggressive, they've probably been stuck together for quite some time <_< .

If there is any play in the splines they are definitly past their 'use by' date and will have to be replaced, plenty of suppliers depending on depth of pocket, and change all the UJ's while you are at it, they are the cheapest part!

All advice welcomed

Simon

Many thanks for the link Ivor, I read the contents with my heart in my mouth! Deep joy ahead.

Simon