Have looked through the forum but cant find any mention of engine block colours, were there different colours over the years, was there a gold seal system for renovated engines like BMC , What colour should mine be 1959 3A ,original body colour blue? Any advice welcome.

Have looked through the forum but cant find any mention of engine block colours, were there different colours over the years, was there a gold seal system for renovated engines like BMC , What colour should mine be 1959 3A ,original body colour blue? Any advice welcome.

Norman: Henry Ford said, "You can buy a Model T in any colour you like, just so its black" You are probably aware that Triumph used the same "basic" engine in many vehicles. From my reading and personal experience All Triumph TR's had engine blocks which were painted glossy black. See photo below of my TR3A restoration project. (sorry for the poor photo) This is the original block. When we cleaned this up we could make out the faint "orange-red" painted "TR3". This was the practice at the Canley works as they built up engines destined for different model cars.

DSC00283.jpg

Over the years all sidescreen TRs had black engines. When I bought my TR3A brand new in May 1958, the engine block was black. It is still black.

For engines that the factory exchanged or engines that the factory re-built, the suffix on the TS number stamped on the block was altered. A different paint colour was not used. I have seen other colours on engine blocks but that was strictly the preference of some owners.

Over the years all sidescreen TRs had black engines. When I bought my TR3A brand new in May 1958, the engine block was black. It is still black.

For engines that the factory exchanged or engines that the factory re-built, the suffix on the TS number stamped on the block was altered. A different paint colour was not used. I have seen other colours on engine blocks but that was strictly the preference of some owners.

Thanks for those replies, I'll paint it black, mine also has TR3 in orange paint , I thought this had been done in some scrapyard where it may have languished , amazed it has survived all these years, I'll paint the black around it .Thanks again.