clutch alignment tool

the old hands will already know this one, but it was news to me.

prior to tackling the job of slipping the gearbox on to the back of the engine single handedly, I had to align the clutch plate before torquing down the clutch on to the back of the flywheel.

I noticed on the web the spiffing plastic imitations of the gearbox input shafts that you can get on the web for about US$10, but nobody here has them. The motor place had a 'one size fits all' adjustable alignment tool for AUD$70. Despite having thrown money at the TR like I was Jay Lenno, both here and in the UK, I couldn't bring myself to fork out $70 for an item I would use only once for 2-3 minutes.

When I expressed this thought to the young bloke helping me, he agreed, and said he himself just used some rod with plastic electrical tape wound round it.

At home I found some 13mm rod in the bower-bird collection, and the manual gives the clutch spline ID.

Wound a couple of the correct diameter sections of tape on to the rod and it worked like a charm.

For anyone who hasn't been told about the technique.

(Years ago for a Corolla I made one out of broomstick and dowel but the diameters here were not suitable for that.)( I have this gut feeling that someone on the forum has already told us how to do a homemade clutch alignment tool but can't be sure, so am sticking it up anyway.)

Hi

Great job, you could almost sell the items as a kit on ebay!

As a mechanic back in the 80s in a BL garage it was easy in that we just kept a selection of input shafts from cannibalised boxes for various applications. The universal alignment kit was inevitably always missing the size you wanted (a bit like socket sets and spanners, the 1/2 in AF and 9/16 miracoulously disappear the minute you want them.

You can actually align everything up by eye, although it is difficult with the finer splines of the Triumph compared to say a GM (Vauxhall) with fewer/larger splines.

Its not always successful doing it this way and you have to contort yourself into all sorts of positions to get your eye level with the driven plate splines and spigot bush. You also need lady luck on your side.

Cheers

Darren

You can usually achieve the same result by using an appropriately sized ½” socket on an extension bar. I have accumulated several socket sets over the years & can usually find one that will fit; if not, a few winds of electrical tape will sort it out as you’ve discovered ;) . The “eyeball” clutch alignment tool is also one of the best you can get but can be a little difficult & uncomfortable to use if the engine is still in the car! :lol: