TR4a rear hubs / driveshaft opinions please!

Hi all,

Getting there with the restoration - chassis is away at CTM getting sorted out, and all the running gear is slowly going through the blaster....

The driveshafts have (not surprisingly) got some slack in them - not a huge amount but certainly enough to 'clonk'. The hubs look OK, but I understand that they should be at least checked and probably re-engineered??

I'm after some advice as to what to do with the hubs and 'shafts - there are lots of uprated items for both bits around, but I'm only aiming for a nice road car, nothing very pokey - so has anyone any experience of replacement shafts and a hub servicing plan that is suitable? The TR enterprises driveshafts in TRaction look reasonable??? Any and all opinions gratefully received!

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

I had a similar problem with my rebuild, and just opted for the rebuilt units on an exchange basis. Quite reasonable, and a lot quicker than having them rebuilt. Also the force required to split then is quite considerable, so you may struggle to find anybody that can do them.

I think the replacement units are also slightly uprated, so well worth the cost.

Better in the long run I think.

Bully

Hi Chris,

hubs - if yours feel good (no rough/lumpy bits when rotated) use them, they are probably as good as an overhauled unit.

If you decide to get replacement units try to hang onto one or both of the old ones as spares.

Standard car doesn't really need uprated anything.

Drive shafts - if there is play they will clonk on take-up. Standard unit don't last too long before mild clonking but will last for many years.

In a posting last year somebody gave a contact for good quality shafts that were cheaper than the usual sources - can't remember name.

super duper shafts may last a life time but will cost a fortune.

Roger