TR4A Gearbox weight?

Anyone know what the weight is of a TR4A gearbox with overdrive? I need to get one transported from Scotland to here and need to know the weight to determine the cost. Thanks.

Ed

Anyone know what the weight is of a TR4A gearbox with overdrive? I need to get one transported from Scotland to here and need to know the weight to determine the cost. Thanks.

Ed

Hi Ed,

The average TR gearbox weights 1 ASL. Ask the fellers from Oz.

Cheers,

Fear not Ed,

it's not that heavy !

A lot lighter than the Peerless engine and o/d box I was grappling with today, complete with all its ancillaries - now that was a damn heavy lump to drag around and stow under the racking !

The spare o/d box isn't the problem, it's the half ton of stuff that has to be dragged out to get at it . . . Sunday afternoon.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Ed,

The 3A o/d box complete with solenoid and switches but not gearstick, and minimal oil, is 45kg. I think that the 4A 'box is a little heavier, but it will only be a couple of kg - certainly under 50kg. Not a problem to lift off the back of a van, in other words, but don't expect the van driver to lift it !

Dimensions in case you need them, overall 78cms long, bell housing 40cms wide x 35cms tall.

Bear in mind that you'll need to strap it to a small pallet, preferably with a modest piece of noggin to support the tail end, and preferably also wrapped in heavy cardboard to prevent damage to the alloy case - bell housing edge being the most vulnerable, as is the front end of the input shaft.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec - very many thanks. I really appreciate you taking the trouble to do this. 45Kg is a fair weight - now to do some checking with couriers and the like.

When I got my TR it was missing various bits, not least a scissor jack. Rather than pay £23 for a new jack (or £60 for a 2nd hand proper TR jack), I called in to a vehicle dismantlers to see what they might have (what an Aladdin's cave! Racks with damaged Ferraris, Lambos and Maseratis piled high). I was directed to a pile of jacks and found a lovely small unused XX scissor jack, complete with handle. It's not the orginal for a TR but will do very well. All for a fiver.

Only indicative I know, but in Oz mine cost AUD 70 to come back from Adelaide to Canberra in its wooden crate.

From memory it cost about the same to go the other way without the OD fitted.

If you want I can go out and put it (still in box) on the scales, but I was just able to stagger around holding it so would agree with the 45KGs figure being pretty close.